Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: bad grades, withdrawing, applying again  (Read 2988 times)

challenger

• View Profile
bad grades, withdrawing, applying again
« on: February 04, 2010, 04:33:04 AM »
 I finished my first semester and got a 1.7 GPA. I am currently withdrawn from the school but I want to start applying to different law schools again. How will my low GPA and withdrawl from school affect my chances? Is it deadly or not very significant?

StonewallJacksonFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: bad grades, withdrawing, applying again
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 10:48:07 AM »
what school are you at now?

challenger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 09:38:40 PM »
What if my LSAT and GPA are way above the median of the schools i apply to? After all, I got bad grades because of the strict curve(I didn't fail any courses, just got C-'s). Doesn't that just mean that I did not do well compared to the students at MY school? For instance, some schools have grading policies that are much more lenient. Wouldn't admission committee take this into account when considering my application? BTW I'm at top 50 private school.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 11:00:04 PM »
I'm not sure if LSAT is a factor when transfering or just initial enrollment, but I do know that most schools refuse to transfer credits below a full 2.0 so a C- would not transfer. Online schools would take it but then your degree would only be good in CA.

challenger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 11:11:05 PM »
I am not trying to transfer any of my credits. I want to start fresh as a 1L. What I would like to know is whether my record of previous matriculation would affect my chances of getting into a different school.

challenger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 11:13:08 PM »
I know that being disqualified from a law school is seriously damaging, but is withdrawing after 1 semester that bad? Even if I have high LSAT and GPA?

Luxhx77

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 12:09:54 AM »
If you really want to be a lawyer, you should just suck it up and go through another semester.  Many schools have programs to help struggling students who didnt quite understand how to take exams.  It is a common thing.  I know quite a few who got horrible grades the first semester but turned it around during the second.

Quitting your school to try to go to another one is a poor choice.  Good luck

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 10:50:36 AM »
Ask about "V"'s where they void up to two of your grades and let you repeat them for higher scores too. You can keep(inschool) as low as a D- for credit, but raising your overall GPA is required to avoid academic dismissal.

Pardon Johnny Cash.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 03:29:40 PM »
The older we get, the idea of wiping the slate clean and starting over again because less less possible (impossible).  I would switch your mindset from "how do I start over with no consequences" to "how do I try to work hard to make the best out of a less than desirable situation".

challenger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 08:21:25 PM »
Why are you talking about returning to my previous school? I already withdrew from the school and filed applications. What I would like to know is how my 1st semester grades will affect my chances of being admitted.