;

Poll

Which law school should I attend

University of Colorado-Boulder
 1 (100%)
University of Denver
 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: CU vs DU  (Read 2467 times)

ashleighlaren

• View Profile
CU vs DU
« on: February 03, 2010, 11:40:12 PM »
Hey everyone,

DU has a PT program, which would allow me to work, but CU is ranked higher, but I would not be able to work with the exception of summers. Where should I go?? I will probably stay in CO, so the region is not an issue. I am just worried if I pick a better school, in this economy, it won't matter.

StonewallJacksonFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: CU vs DU
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 10:13:10 AM »
i did not want to vote, as there might be other considerations at stake, but I wanted to say that you also should consider financial aid and whether you want to be stuck at PT program for 4-6 years.  It seems that if you did not go to the top 20 or 30 law schools rankings do not matter that much, and 45 vs 77 is very close, even though these are the two different tiers.  I would probably go to UD (considering there is some aid) because with you working full time it might be like a hobby and deliver the highest ROI.  Plus, if you take longer to graduate you will be more likely to find yourself in a boom economy.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 10:54:43 AM »
I would go with whichever is cheaper. Not just tuition- factoring your prospective wages while in school and opportunity cost.

If you don't currently make much money, CU is probably the place to go (in state tuition). If you have a decent career already, DU. I would think most people who get into CU could also get money from DU- I know when I applied DU offered me a pretty sizable scholarship even before my LSAT retake- I was actually marginal for CU before it.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

dl1227

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 12:22:04 PM »
Are you from Colorado?  I have lived in Denver for 3 years, working in the legal field, and would by FAR say CU.  Not only is it cheaper (unless DU is giving you alot of $$), but it is all in all, a far better school in rankings and otherwise. DU is not a bad choice, especially if you stay in Denver, but it gets really old hearing that EVERY attorney went there- I attribute this partly to the fact that not many leave the state, probably bc it would be harder to get a job elsewhere than you would from CU, but also bc since it is IN Denver, they do have good connections.  That being said, even lawyers I work for that went there have negative things to say about it, and some wish they had not gone there.  It has a reputation of being one of those schools that if you give them the money to go there, they will let you.  They have a history of having a terrible bar passage rate as well, so keep that in mind.   I don't mean to be so negative about DU, but it is just my opinion after having lived here for a few years.. I didn't even apply there.