Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LLM in Bankruptcy at St. Johns  (Read 4687 times)

woomen

• View Profile
    • Email
LLM in Bankruptcy at St. Johns
« on: February 02, 2010, 08:14:07 AM »
Good, bad? 

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LLM in Bankruptcy at St. Johns
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »
I don't know about this LLM in particular, but here are my thoughts when considering this type of course.

What would your purpose be in getting this LLM?  Would it be to simply learn bankruptcy?  Would it be to try and getter "better" job opportunities?  I would then assess whether the LLM would actually help reach your goals.  If you don't have the credentials to get into a big firm before getting the LLM, I'd venture to say that you don't have the credentials to get into a big firm even after the LLM (of course, that may not be your goal at all).

Also, look at others in that field, do they have LLMs?  This isn't scientific by any means, but look at the top professionals practicing bankruptcy -- how did they get there?

Additionally balance the costs and missed opportunity costs with the expected benefit.  I know a ton of LLM tax students overestimate the value an LLM will add to their J.D.  You're giving up at least a year's worth of potential salary/real world experience for this degree, will it be worth it?

Other than these questions, I don't have anything of substance to say.  I just wanted to help provide a framework where you could get started thinking about the issues of getting an LLM.

St Johns JD and LLM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 02:49:08 PM »
Woomen,

I am currently enrolled as a part-time student in St. John's University School of Law's LL.M. in Bankruptcy program.  I am also practicing as an attorney doing corporate bankruptcy.  In my opinion its a very good program for several reasons:

1) The professors are mostly comprised of U.S. Bankruptcy Court Judges and practicing attorneys.  This provides you with an excellent opportunity to network and to get some outstanding letters of recommmendation for future employment.

2) The program is very comprehensive and provides you with a solid understanding of the bankruptcy process.  Bankruptcy law can be confusing at times, but it certainly is not as broad as, say, tax.  The classes have a decent amount of overlap, which really helps reinforce the core bankruptcy law principles that you learn.

3) Job placement has typically been very good at AmLaw 100 firms and clerkships for U.S. Bankruptcy Judges.  However, I have heard that in the last couple of years, that with the state of the economy and the glut of attorneys that are looking for jobs, many firms are not hiring Bankruptcy LL.M. students at the rate they used to.  Still, if you are interested in bankruptcy law, an LL.M. would only make you more marketable and you would definitely be far more familiar with the substantive law than many other candiates.

The real question that you must ask yourself is: Is $42,000 in further student debt and a year's worth of lost income worth it?  Obviously, only you can answer that question, but the quality of St. John's Bankruptcy LL.M. is very good in my opinion and worth the time and money if you feel that you want to practice bankruptcy law.

jxrocky

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 01:08:18 PM »
is there any possibilities for a foreign-trained bankruptcy lawyer, say China, to get a good job in US after graduation from this program?