Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: JD/CPA Combo  (Read 3371 times)

StonewallJacksonFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
JD/CPA Combo
« on: January 31, 2010, 09:47:44 PM »
I am a CPA who has always been interested in law, planning to go to law school in Fall 2010.  I heard JD/CPA is a hot combo, anybody had any comments, insights, experiences?

cooleylawstudent

Re: JD/CPA Combo
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 10:44:05 PM »
I know a guy in my class who has a CPA  and going for a JD if that helps any. Plus, if you plan on going for tax law it'd probally be a decent idea. I doubt it could help in most other fields much though other than giving you a heads up on accounting for accounts recievable.

Big4ToLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: JD/CPA Combo
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 11:27:02 PM »
Depending on how long you have been in public accounting, you could have potentially seniored/managed a Fortune 500 Audit, been involved with M&A, IPOs, and worked closely with Controllers and CAOs. Even if the adcomms do not give you a large bump for your experience, you already know what is like, and have proven that you can withstand many years of 90 billable hour weeks with immovable deadlines and pressures from the Partners. A caveat to this thought process is if you are still new to the world of public accounting, and have not built up the years of experience just yet.

So while it might not necessarily get you into law school, it will help you when it comes time to apply for jobs and survive the world of cut-throat, client service.

Oh, and you probably know what it is like to be sued and have your laptop subject to pending litigation  ;)