Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The pros and cons of an LLM  (Read 4672 times)

woomen

• View Profile
    • Email
The pros and cons of an LLM
« on: January 31, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »
Hi,

I am a recent grad from a tier 3 law school from California, in the top 30%, no journal, and now in NYC.  I am considering applying for an LLM at the top law schools here in NYC, but am not sure if it's worth the time and money.  I've been looking for jobs since passing the NY bar with no luck.  Out of thousands of resumes that I sent out, I got 2 interviews.  TWO.

What do you guys think?  Is a LLM where you live worth it if you came from a tier 3 school, where no one where you live knows your school, where you don't have alumni here, and where job prospects are pretty crappy? 

Also, if an LLM is a good idea, what are my prospects of getting into a top-tier LLM like NYU or Columbia?  Just looking for some direction. Thanks!

cooleylawstudent

Re: The pros and cons of an LLM
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 07:10:11 PM »
you can always apply here http://taftu.edu/TLS/law_llm_aj.htm 

Hi,

I am a recent grad from a tier 3 law school from California, in the top 30%, no journal, and now in NYC.  I am considering applying for an LLM at the top law schools here in NYC, but am not sure if it's worth the time and money.  I've been looking for jobs since passing the NY bar with no luck.  Out of thousands of resumes that I sent out, I got 2 interviews.  TWO.

What do you guys think?  Is a LLM where you live worth it if you came from a tier 3 school, where no one where you live knows your school, where you don't have alumni here, and where job prospects are pretty crappy? 

Also, if an LLM is a good idea, what are my prospects of getting into a top-tier LLM like NYU or Columbia?  Just looking for some direction. Thanks!

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 07:27:03 PM »
Con:  You have to go back to law school.

woomen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 09:45:19 PM »
I really don't mind going back to school, as long as it's worth it (e.g. increases job prospects, etc).  If there are any LLM grads out there, has the degree helped you out?  (Tax LLMs need not respond, I'm looking for a traditional or corporate LLM).

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 10:46:21 PM »
http://taftu.edu/TLS/law_llm_aj.htm  American Jurispondence LLM

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 12:11:10 PM »
The general consensus is that a non-tax LLM in your situation is completely and utterly worthless.

One small exception could be the bankruptcy LLM at St. Johns.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

brigun

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 01:11:15 PM »
I know that this is an old thread, but I didn't think it was necessary to start a new one. Is a LL.M worth it if I already have a CPA license? I would like to work in corporate tax or regulatory compliance.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 02:54:09 PM »
Is a LL.M worth it if I already have a CPA license? I would like to work in corporate tax or regulatory compliance.

It depends: are you having trouble getting hired now? If so, how badly is it going?
How much debt do you have? How much would you need to incur?

Can you get into NYU/GULC/UF?
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?