Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L Studying Tactics and Strategies  (Read 6708 times)

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
Re: 1L Studying Tactics and Strategies
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2005, 03:13:10 PM »
Is everybody using the E&E's that PLS2 says to use?

It's not like PLS2 is the sole magical source that suggests use of the E&E's. They seem to be a good way to become introduced to the basic landscape of a particular area of law. As such, several "authorities" recommend them (e.g. PlS2, former 1L's, etc.).

But which ones are you using?  Glannon's? or some of the others?
Attending: Texas

BAFF213

« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2005, 03:19:51 PM »
Oh I see.

I know rumors spread like wild fire in law school (at least, that's what I've heard), but why can't you date anyone in your section?

Would you recommend using your (PLS-type) knowledge to try to pick up chicks (in your section or in other sections)? There's this really hot girl in my section that I met yesterday and I started telling her some PLS-type stuff and she seemed really interested (in the strategies, at least). I was thinking about playing that card, but I also don't want to jeopardize my class rank over it. I mean, she could potentially tell her friends (depending on how many she has). It could be worth it though...

"Hey, why do you come by apartment and check out my E&E's???" haha

Who knows, maybe we'll end up being "study partners"?

I have a question. So, I'm trying not to tell other people in my law school about PLSII because I don't want to make the competition any tougher, but is it OK to tell people that aren't in your section. I realize that telling people in your section would be dumb -- you don't want your whole section doing LEEWS, etc. But does it really matter if people in other sections know? I mean, you're not directly competing with them. The only thing I can think of is that those who you tell may end up doing very well and competing with you for straight A's at the top of the class (assuming PLS is very effective, among other things), while if you hadn't told that person, they may have got a mixed bag of grades. In other words, say you don't tell anyone in the other section -- most people may end up getting a mixed bag of grades and not competiting with you for top 10%. But telling someone could result in them getting straight A's instead of everyone getting a mixed bag. Does this make sense to anyone?

You are competing with all first years for percentile rank.  Ive found so far that people are not receptive to anything that sort of rocks their boat and makes them feel like they dont know everything or arent being show everything they need to know.  Hence my advice below about keeping things to yourself.

BAFF, come on man.  I'll lay this out for you as clearly as possible

A) If you have to use PLSII as a tag line to pick up chicks, you need some serious help in this department.  No one is going to think that this is even remotely cool or attractive. 

B) Are you even the least bit saavy about law school socializing?  I mean you've been on this board for over a year and you still dont know the first rule of LS relationships.  NEVER DATE ANYONE IN YOUR SECTION!  I don't know any better way you could invite a hellish personal rumor mill to grind you up into little pieces than to date a fellow section mate.

C) Finally, if you really think that PLSII is some kind of Rosetta Stone for law school success you are completely wrong.  I dont know how many times it can be stated before you understand: it's about YOU not a book you read before law school.  Atticus Falcon can't take your tests for you.  So why don't you drop this presumptuous darn about jeopardizing your class ranking.  What if you use PLSII all semester and end up in the bottom half of the class?  You won't be jeopardizing anything in that case. 

Basically, stop posting stuff that makes you sound clueless.  That is all.

Because when you break up or when the relationship goes "bad" there has the potential to be hard feelings between the two of you. But you will continue to have to see this person...and potentially see this person with the new person they are dating. And you will have to continue to get along with this person...even if you don't want to.  And even if the relationship does not go bad, you still don't want to be gazing at your honey and thinking sweet thoughts during class instead of concentrating on what the prof is saying. All of this has the potential to distract you from what you should be concentrating on - law school and your classes.

hocuspocus

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2005, 03:36:36 PM »
There are some especially toolish posts on this thread.  I've never seen anything like it on LSD.

BigTex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2005, 05:51:18 PM »

It's not like PLS2 is the sole magical source that suggests use of the E&E's. They seem to be a good way to become introduced to the basic landscape of a particular area of law. As such, several "authorities" recommend them (e.g. PlS2, former 1L's, etc.).

i'm using the E&E for each subject. I'm not really understanding your question. It's not like there are multiple E&E's for each subject. For Civ Pro there is only one E&E: Glannon's. For K's there is only one E&E: Blum. Etc.

Eh

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2005, 12:17:08 AM »
BAFF for my unread replies. 8)

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2005, 12:17:44 PM »

i'm using the E&E for each subject. I'm not really understanding your question. It's not like there are multiple E&E's for each subject. For Civ Pro there is only one E&E: Glannon's. For K's there is only one E&E: Blum. Etc.

Really? Because I went to a used bookstore and there were study aids (they may not have been E&E's...I didn't look at them that closely) by publishers other than Aspen. I was actually only able to find Glannon's Civ Pro at the bookstore and I had to get Blum's off of Amazon. I didn't realize that Aspen was the only one who published E&E books. I just assumed that there were other publishers that published their own version of E&Es...like there are multiple publishers of outlines.
Attending: Texas

A.J.

« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2005, 12:34:57 PM »
WHat if your soulmate is in your section, then would you date him/her?

Of course not.  You should never date your soul mate.  ;)

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2005, 05:33:50 PM »
WHat if your soulmate is in your section, then would you date him/her?

Of course not.  You should never date your soul mate.  ;)

:D
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

BigTex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2005, 05:59:19 PM »
I just assumed that there were other publishers that published their own version of E&Es...like there are multiple publishers of outlines.

"Examples and Explanations" is the brand name of the series of primers published by Aspen. No other publisher makes E&E. Certainly, other publishers have "primers" they will sell you, but no other publisher seems to have a comprehensive line of primers covering all 1L classes (and most 2L classes) that also follow an identifiable, popular, and useful format like the E&E's (explanation followed by examples). In that regard, Aspen kinda has a stranglehold on the "primer" business with its E&E series.

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2005, 06:28:20 PM »
I just assumed that there were other publishers that published their own version of E&Es...like there are multiple publishers of outlines.

"Examples and Explanations" is the brand name of the series of primers published by Aspen. No other publisher makes E&E. Certainly, other publishers have "primers" they will sell you, but no other publisher seems to have a comprehensive line of primers covering all 1L classes (and most 2L classes) that also follow an identifiable, popular, and useful format like the E&E's (explanation followed by examples). In that regard, Aspen kinda has a stranglehold on the "primer" business with its E&E series.

I have the Civ Pro E&E and the Gilberts Property and Torts.  I have so much reading homework, I don't know how I'll ever get to the supplements.   :o
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166