Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Grades  (Read 1776 times)

cooleylawstudent

Grades
« on: January 29, 2010, 09:51:38 PM »
I heard from staff at school that you can get an "A" with a 75% is that true for all campuses? They also said no curve, so I'm a bit confused.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Grades
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 02:29:09 PM »
I don't know about "no curve", but generally speaking if you get 75% of the issues on an issue spotter, you are doing exceedingly well.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 06:15:22 PM »
I guess its not that uncommon then, I still am used to the undergrad idea of 75% being a looser who was high in the bathroom during half the test. My midterms are in two weeks, (gulp) I guess I'd better study up.

Anyone get 100% on these things, or is 75% about the best to be expected(on a good day) ?

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 08:55:57 AM »
There is no "expectation" it's all about the class and professor.  My 1L Civ. Pro. class the prof. told us that if someone got 50-55% of the points, they would be the "A."  There are classes where the exams are extremely difficult (they have to be to force a cruve with a larger class). 

Therefore, expect to walk out of some exams feeling like you failed only to find out you received a B+/A- or sometimes even that coveted "A."

Welcome to law school.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 10:19:28 AM »
Crazy stuff. I have been getting around 80% on my hypo exams, so I guess that I am doing ok so far. Assuming that I an keep it up, seeing how as midterms are next week.  :P

There is no "expectation" it's all about the class and professor.  My 1L Civ. Pro. class the prof. told us that if someone got 50-55% of the points, they would be the "A."  There are classes where the exams are extremely difficult (they have to be to force a cruve with a larger class). 

Therefore, expect to walk out of some exams feeling like you failed only to find out you received a B+/A- or sometimes even that coveted "A."

Welcome to law school.

Leverandon

• AOL Instant Messenger - NadoSteve
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 11:20:52 AM »
Its absolutely all about the professor and the class. In my civ pro class you had to get over 90% of the issues on the exam to get an A-. This was because my prof has published a series of commercial supplements which show you how to write exams that he wants. Consequently everyone who is responsible buys the supplement and thus everyone writes identical essays. Frustrating.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 12:06:33 PM »
I guess its not that uncommon then, I still am used to the undergrad idea of 75% being a looser who was high in the bathroom during half the test.

Yeah, issue spotters are totally different. It would take near clairvoyance to actually figure out every last issue the professor has thought of. I've never heard of someone actually fully addressing all possible issues on an exam. Even model answers have stuff left out, or even substantively wrong.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 12:46:41 PM »
Crazy how that varies per class. So I might be doing good, might be screwed.....fun. 
Next week I'll know for usre.  :-\

Its absolutely all about the professor and the class. In my civ pro class you had to get over 90% of the issues on the exam to get an A-. This was because my prof has published a series of commercial supplements which show you how to write exams that he wants. Consequently everyone who is responsible buys the supplement and thus everyone writes identical essays. Frustrating.

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - troop85eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 08:03:51 AM »
The best I did percentage-wise on a test was 87% on an issue spotter.  I got a 97 for the course.  The worst I did was a 63%, but that was the second-highest in Legal Research.
Mercer University School of Law '12

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 09:14:52 AM »
I love all the grade talk here, everyone always has straight A's on internet forums....  Too funny.

Not that it matters at the TTT's some attend.