Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Past Record Disclosure  (Read 1028 times)

PSUJD06

• View Profile
Past Record Disclosure
« on: January 26, 2010, 09:52:09 PM »
I have a past incrimination from my Junior year of college where I received a Public Drunkenness and Similar Misconduct when I was young and dumb.  I have been been working professionally for several years and have significantly matured.  However, I am not sure how to approach the statement regarding this information on applications.  I am a pretty middle-of-the-road applicant so I am concerned about throwing up any "red flags" on my application.  Any thoughts?

cooleylawstudent

Re: Past Record Disclosure
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 10:05:10 PM »
Just be honest and you should be fine. You'd be suprised how many of your fellow students will have misdomenors too. It's almost a requirment.  ;D

snowpeach06

• AOL Instant Messenger - angelcat06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 09:25:17 PM »
I had something similar. Granted, it was never recorded by the police, just my school's housing department, but, I still got into all the schools I would have otherwise gotten into. Just disclose, say you want to be honest, not face any future problems when taking the bar, ect. It's not a big deal at all.

chi2009

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 06:04:47 PM »
That's nothing to lose sleep over.  Disclose and don't worry about it.

nde78

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 07:02:20 AM »
As a former investigator with the FL Board of Bar Examiners I can tell you now that the biggest red flag would be non-disclosure.  Lack of Candor is grounds for denial of admission to the Bar.  I don't know what state you intend to practive law, but in FL we requested law school applications and compared those responses to other informatioin we found.  Besides, attorneys should operate according to the highest standards of ethics and professionalism therefore, non-disclosure should never be an option.  Be honest and candid.