Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: California Western.. I like it! Is that enough?  (Read 614 times)

dl1227

• View Profile
California Western.. I like it! Is that enough?
« on: January 26, 2010, 02:31:59 PM »
Okay, so I've read MANY other discussions and have struggled with my law school decision for some time.  I'd love any real advice, but please, no condescending comments (especially about 4th tier schools being worthless-bc I don't believe that!). I realize a 4th tier law school does have some limitations, but keep in mind, I DO NOT want any kind of "big law" career.  Also, I want to stay in San Diego, at least for 5-10 years. 
My lsat was 152, and yes I know it sucks,  but it is what it is.  I took a Kaplan study course, and that is actually a decent improvement.  I am taking the LSAT again in Feb, but don't feel overwhelmingly confident it would change - or enough to matter.  LSAC GPA was 3.33.

I applied to Cal Western but have not received a decision yet.  Do you think I will get in, and ANY chance I would get ANY $$?

I used to be so concerned with rankings (I originally thought I wanted to be in Chicago, and was planning on applying to DePaul and Loyola), but now I feel like if its not a T14 or 20, it probably doesn't matter too much.  Even DePaul and Loyola probably have similar cons once you leave Chicago.. As MOST schools..

I love most of what I read/hear about the school, and if Cal West grads have a good chance at finding decent jobs in SD, then that would put me at east a bit to hear. 

Can anyone give me some HELPFUL, honest advice or input about/from Cal West grads?  Thanks :)

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: California Western.. I like it! Is that enough?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 12:34:55 PM »
Rankings become less and less useful as you go down the rankings. There may be little functional difference between many schools in the third tier and those in the fourth. I wouldn't go to Chicago area schools unless you plan on living there post-graduation.

That said, be very weary of the debt you may be taking on and be prepared to just scrape by for a while (potentially a long while).
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?