Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: FAMU Law School  (Read 10656 times)

AMThinker

• AOL Instant Messenger - atduecetrey
    • View Profile
    • Email
FAMU Law School
« on: January 26, 2010, 12:35:25 PM »
Is anyone attending FAMU Fall 2010, or is anyone a current student at FAMU in Orlando?  If so, what have you liked or disliked about the law school?
AMT
"Less Talk...More Action"

Orlando FAMU1L

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: FAMU Law School
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 05:30:22 PM »
Diversity rules at FAMU Law – I’m a 1L and I have many friends attending who are single parents and hanging in and keeping up with the work. One of the best things about the school is that there are people from all over the world. In my class I have a lawyer from Checkoslovakia and another lawyer from China. There is also a local surgeon who wants to get his law degree as well as another attorney from from Florida – he didn’t graduate from an accredited law school 1st time around – although he’s been practicing for 20 years. We have students from Africa, Dominican Republic, Japan, Puerto Rico, Spain and -  Florida. The ages of the students run from 22- 60 and it makes for interesting discussions. Everyone is smart in different ways & friendly. The mix of cultures, ages, attitudes, backgrounds make the experience a blast. Be prepared – the Professors are tough – and the workload is huge. The school is determined to rise and succeed now that it has accreditation – and nothing short of performing at your highest level is acceptable – they will kick you out if you can’t perform up to their expectations. At the same time the Professors are really willing to help- they have an open door policy – if you want help you will get it – but it is up to you to ask. So if you decide to come – be ready to go all out – as 1Ls we have 6 classes this spring – it is the hardest thing I’ve ever done and the best experience ever – I’m having the time of my life.

MyNameIsAlexander

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 06:16:22 PM »
Diversity rules at FAMU Law – I’m a 1L and I have many friends attending who are single parents and hanging in and keeping up with the work. One of the best things about the school is that there are people from all over the world. In my class I have a lawyer from Checkoslovakia and another lawyer from China. There is also a local surgeon who wants to get his law degree as well as another attorney from from Florida – he didn’t graduate from an accredited law school 1st time around – although he’s been practicing for 20 years. We have students from Africa, Dominican Republic, Japan, Puerto Rico, Spain and -  Florida. The ages of the students run from 22- 60 and it makes for interesting discussions. Everyone is smart in different ways & friendly. The mix of cultures, ages, attitudes, backgrounds make the experience a blast. Be prepared – the Professors are tough – and the workload is huge. The school is determined to rise and succeed now that it has accreditation – and nothing short of performing at your highest level is acceptable – they will kick you out if you can’t perform up to their expectations. At the same time the Professors are really willing to help- they have an open door policy – if you want help you will get it – but it is up to you to ask. So if you decide to come – be ready to go all out – as 1Ls we have 6 classes this spring – it is the hardest thing I’ve ever done and the best experience ever – I’m having the time of my life.

Out of curiosity, what is the reasoning behind the attorney going back to law school if he has been practicing for 20 years? Is he looking to be admitted by motion in another state that requires applicants to have graduated from an ABA accredited school?

AMThinker

• AOL Instant Messenger - atduecetrey
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 01:45:10 PM »
Diversity rules at FAMU Law – I’m a 1L and I have many friends attending who are single parents and hanging in and keeping up with the work. One of the best things about the school is that there are people from all over the world. In my class I have a lawyer from Checkoslovakia and another lawyer from China. There is also a local surgeon who wants to get his law degree as well as another attorney from from Florida – he didn’t graduate from an accredited law school 1st time around – although he’s been practicing for 20 years. We have students from Africa, Dominican Republic, Japan, Puerto Rico, Spain and -  Florida. The ages of the students run from 22- 60 and it makes for interesting discussions. Everyone is smart in different ways & friendly. The mix of cultures, ages, attitudes, backgrounds make the experience a blast. Be prepared – the Professors are tough – and the workload is huge. The school is determined to rise and succeed now that it has accreditation – and nothing short of performing at your highest level is acceptable – they will kick you out if you can’t perform up to their expectations. At the same time the Professors are really willing to help- they have an open door policy – if you want help you will get it – but it is up to you to ask. So if you decide to come – be ready to go all out – as 1Ls we have 6 classes this spring – it is the hardest thing I’ve ever done and the best experience ever – I’m having the time of my life.

Thank you for the information.  It is somewhere I'd love to go. I visited, and the students and professors are great, so I am crossing my fingers!
AMT
"Less Talk...More Action"

fllaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 07:41:04 PM »

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 05:34:13 PM »
I am 57 and will start in the part time program Fall 2010. I was admitted to full time, but decided not to quit my job. I am looking forward to the fun. I love that FAMU is a very diverse school. I am an old white guy married to an old black women! She thinks this is one of the best decisions I have made. I hope so!

lol.  ;D

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 05:16:56 PM »
I am 57 and will start in the part time program Fall 2010. I was admitted to full time, but decided not to quit my job. I am looking forward to the fun. I love that FAMU is a very diverse school. I am an old white guy married to an old black women! She thinks this is one of the best decisions I have made. I hope so!

Awww sounds like an old-school romance with a twist.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 05:21:59 PM »

I am glad people attending the school are having a good time, and that they are appealing to people from around the world.  I do hope they rise, and that their graduates give back by providing opportunities for internships and post-grad employment to the ones behind them.  And I can see there was a real need for folks in Orlando to have a law school accessible to them (plus, unlike many of the rest of non-Miami Florida law schools, it's actually located in a city with an international airport).  UF and FSU might be the highest ranked, but they really do not have any curb appeal being in rather racist small town locations.

I wouldn't consider it because of previous experience with FAMU's administrative side...(and not wanting to live in Orlando). 

How have you found the experience with financial aid and such?

christylove

• If you do not look, you will never see.
    • MSN Messenger - trulve@msn.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 08:35:30 PM »
I graduated from there in 2009. I think that despite some of the challenges I had there, FAMU is a great place to study and learn the law. You are coming at the right time. They just recevied their ABA accreditation. Check it out and give them a call and reqest a handbook. Good Luck in your pursuit.
ChristyLove

nde78

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 05:19:53 AM »
Hello...my name is Nikko Evans and I'm a former investigator with the FL Board of Bar Examiners. The character and fitness portion of the FL Bar admission process can be a scary and daunting task.  Allow me to use my knowledge and skills to make this process easier for you. As your consultant I will:
- Review your bar application and supporting documents for thoroughness, completeness, and discrepancies
- Suggest additional documents to submit to the Board
- Provide you with contact information to request any additional information you may need in support of your application
- Help you understand the character and fitness process
-Suggest actions you can take to mitigate any potential character and fitness issues.

I offer bar application review, which includes the above services for only $99.  Even if you have already submitted your bar application I can assist you.  Contact me at nevans@flbarapp.com.

*not licensed to practice law in FL or any other jurisdiction.