Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Virginia Law Schools  (Read 593 times)

StonewallJacksonFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Virginia Law Schools
« on: January 25, 2010, 10:40:29 PM »
If you go to T2 law school like University of Richmond, and then miraculously manage toget a job at top law firm, like Hunton & Williams(which interviews on campus), would 3-5 years of experience in the law firm help mitigate the ranking of the law school you went to?

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Virginia Law Schools 162/3.912
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 01:07:50 PM »
I'd be a bit concerned about your info re UoR compared to UVA - everywhere I've been (DC's about the closest to you), UVA is highly respected and UoR is pretty unheard of. However, local schools do often do well in their immediate surroundings and it wouldn't surprise me if UoR is good for working in R.  If you ever decide to leave R, you'd be far better off with UVA on your resume.  Also, I would be confident that you'd get a better education at UVA and your classmates will, on average, be of higher caliber.

You might also consider GMU as a middle-ground, particularly if UVA doesn't work out.

I don't know anything specific about Atty/CPA's and their job market, though the job market in general for lawyers is pretty poor.

There's certainly a lot to be said for graduating with zero debt vs $100k of debt (or whatever UVA will work out to be) and that should probably weigh pretty heavily. 

good luck!
HLS 2010

StonewallJacksonFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Virginia Law Schools 162/3.912
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 02:01:39 PM »
Thanks for your reply.  I have been pending for 1.5 months, hopefully UVA will make a decision someday.