Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring out of a school without 1L grades  (Read 3227 times)

coto29

Transferring out of a school without 1L grades
« on: January 25, 2010, 08:59:33 PM »
Hey guys,

Appalachian School of Law does not have 1L grades, its all P/NP/F.  They started this in 2008.  Has anyone transferred out with this grading system?  Any advice would be appreciated.  I was thinking of repeating my first year if I have to and if it's even possible.  Yeah it's that bad and the employment prospects after graduation do not look so good.  Thanks for any advice.

cooleylawstudent

Re: Transferring out of a school without 1L grades
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 09:46:59 PM »
Dang. Other than the gradeing system what has you so upset with them? It sounds like a lot.

coto29

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 10:21:40 PM »
Mostly the grading scale.  Feels like they sellin out their students.  The area stinks, but I could deal with that.  Profs are O.K. for the most part.  I think they have this scale solely to make transferring difficult for their students.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 10:36:49 PM »
so someone with a D- would make the same as someone with an A?

Mostly the grading scale.  Feels like they sellin out their students.  The area stinks, but I could deal with that.  Profs are O.K. for the most part.  I think they have this scale solely to make transferring difficult for their students.

coto29

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 10:09:53 PM »

Nah that would be an NP or an F.  In each class the school mandates that at least %15 of students get NPs or Fs.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 12:04:37 AM »
so then according to that theory if everyone got a 90% except for the guy who got an 89% he'd have an F?

Nah that would be an NP or an F.  In each class the school mandates that at least %15 of students get NPs or Fs.

coto29

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 01:07:35 PM »
yep, but that's the same a the curves that all schools use.  Just with a lot less leeway.  It sucks, they argue that its to lessen 1L competition, but I don't buy it.  A normal grading scale is much more useful.

xxspykex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 01:17:26 AM »
I like when top schools (HYS) do stuff like this because it makes sense in that virtually everyone can find top schools can find jobs. It makes no sense at a school like Appalachian, which is one of the few schools that are actually shittier then Cooley, does it. But I guess it makes sense for administration when they realize that 0% of their grads find jobs anyway and by getting rid of grades reduces your possibility of transferring to 0.

coto29

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 01:27:30 PM »
Yep.  Its pretty messed up isn't it.  Big reason to transfer is the administration lying to you.

Gruitza

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 11:38:20 AM »
Appalachian started that policy in an attempt to keep the top half of the class from transferring out....Plain and simple.

If you are open to the north east, I believe that Rutgers will accept up to 45 credits as a transfer student. My advice would be to work hard next fall and apply mid-year with at least one semester's worth of quantifiable grades to show your capabilities. My guess is that you will need to be in the top 25% or so of your class.

Hope this is helpful...Good luck!