Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cooley in the fall  (Read 9922 times)

cooleylawstudent

Re: Cooley in the fall
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2010, 11:24:06 PM »
and if a cooley grad applied to one of those paralegals (when no one else would hire them) you think the company wouldn't be shitting themselves with excitment to have a lawyer and not just a secretary doing that job?

Just out of curiosity how much do these paralegals make. I doubt it is more than 99.5% of grads from Cooley.

For 2009, I believe their paralegals started on $105,000 before bonuses.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2010, 11:25:44 PM »
I never thought that I'd see "cooley" "crack" and "don't" in the same sentence. First two mabey though.... :D
Just joking H, you can put down the gun. 8)

So your saying that 199 out of 200 people that graduate from Cooley don't crack 6 figures in their life. ??? ???

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2010, 11:26:22 PM »
and if a cooley grad applied to one of those paralegals (when no one else would hire them) you think the company wouldn't be shitting themselves with excitment to have a lawyer and not just a secretary doing that job?

That's exactly what I'm saying, yes.

So your saying that 199 out of 200 people that graduate from Cooley don't crack 6 figures in their life. ??? ???

At the same relative point in their career? I doubt it, but I don't really care as I'm not at Cooley.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

Mr. Hart

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2010, 11:32:51 PM »

At the same relative point in their career? I doubt it, but I don't really care as I'm not at Cooley.

That is a lot different than saying nobody could acheive 6 figures in their whole life. I'm sorry if I got a bit rude, though.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2010, 11:33:31 PM »
You're an idiot. What magic credential would a secretary have over a licensed lawyer if applying for the same gig?

Mr. Hart

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2010, 11:37:20 PM »

That is a lot different than saying nobody could acheive 6 figures in their whole life. I'm sorry if I got a bit rude, though.

You're an idiot. What magic credential would a secretary have over a licensed lawyer if applying for the same gig?

I'm not saying I agree, but rather that his arguement is less egregious than I originally thought.

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2010, 11:38:57 PM »

Sure, but let's be honest, this is an internet forum, not a debate competition, I'm allowed to exaggerate for effect :p

Look, I've kinda caught on to the fact that you think you know everything better than everyone else. It's cool, I don't really care. As for getting employed at a firm like Wachtell, yeah, they'd take a 4.0 college grad over a Cooley JD grad any day of the week. That's just the way this business works. On a more general note, law firms do not generally want people with JDs as a paralegal ever, for obvious reasons. You're about 2 years away from getting a major wake-up call, we'll talk then.

And no, I'm not an idiot, I'm actually very smart.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2010, 11:51:35 PM »
lawstudent, everyones their own little genius... ::)

Sure, but let's be honest, this is an internet forum, not a debate competition, I'm allowed to exaggerate for effect :p

Look, I've kinda caught on to the fact that you think you know everything better than everyone else. It's cool, I don't really care. As for getting employed at a firm like Wachtell, yeah, they'd take a 4.0 college grad over a Cooley JD grad any day of the week. That's just the way this business works. On a more general note, law firms do not generally want people with JDs as a paralegal ever, for obvious reasons. You're about 2 years away from getting a major wake-up call, we'll talk then.

And no, I'm not an idiot, I'm actually very smart.

CJScalia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2010, 11:54:06 PM »
lawstudent, everyones their own little genius... ::)

Actually, most people in law school are rather mediocre, with a good portion of the class being plain stupid. There's a few people who are very smart, few if any I'd actually call a genius.
3L
Law school completed.
Bar exams next.

CooleyGrad

• ain't no sleep when you're living the dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »

That's exactly what I'm saying, yes.

I started at 83k with a mid-sized firm here in my home state. 27 attorneys -- damn same that I will forever be limited to making an additional 17k a year...