Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chicago Schools: Loyola, DePaul, John Marshall  (Read 7872 times)

2002hoosier

• View Profile
Re: Chicago Schools: Loyola, DePaul, John Marshall
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 05:18:02 PM »
What is your plan? Just call Loyola and tell them about the scholarship offer from DePaul and hope they match it?

Are you more interested in Loyola than DePaul?

I'm interested in getting the best deal possible. I haven't had anyone convince me with specifics that DePaul is better than Loyola or Loyola is better than Depaul.  I have more research to do, but in the meantime I'm going to see if I can get better offers from both schools. I have heard that DePaul is having issues with leadership and they fired their president who was popular and doing a good job improving the school.  I don't know what impact that will have on my decision.

Denny Shore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 08:20:30 PM »
I am basing my advice on the fact that attend John Marshall law school.
Go to Depaul or Loyola.  Almost no one transfers out successfully from JMLS.  Additionally, JMLS requires professors to give grade of D or F to "no fewer than 10% and no more than 20% of the class" while Depaul, most reasonably, require professors to adhere to a curve that requires a grade of "C or below" to 15%-20% of the class.
JMLS fails out more students every year than all the other law schools in the state combined by a wide margin.
While I realize you are probably thinking "this won't happen to me", that's what everyone says.  I've seen students with exemplary LSAT and UGPA's fail out, so the point is that it CAN happen to you.
Given the choice to do it all over again, I'd have waited another cycle for a shot to go anywhere else.
Steer clear of JMLS.  One of my former fellow students gave up admission to Kent because JMLS offered him scholarship money.  I haven't seen him since finals and can confirm that he was booted.  If he wants to return, he can wait a full academic calendar year and petition for readmission or wait two academic calendar years and apply elsewhere.  I spoke with him a few days ago and, for now, he's decided to get a master's degree instead and forget about law school altogether.
JMLS has the WORST grading curve for 1L's, which is funny because it becomes virtually impossible to get below a C 2L and beyond in any class unless you swear at your professors and/or sexually molest their children.
I would advise ANYONE considering attending JMLS that has already gained acceptance elsewhere to avoid the school like the plague.
While I'm sure I sound bitter, I doubt you will find any contrary opinions in light of the information available here:
http://www.jmls.edu/students/student_handbook.pdf
and the data available on LSAC.org.
Prior year data regarding academic attrition for JMLS was 42 students.
Kent: 10
Depaul: 11
Loyola: 1
U of C: 0
U of I: 1
NIU: 2
Northwestern: 0
SIU: 2
Fun with numbers!
All law schools in Illinois, not including JMLS, academically dismissed a grand total of 27 students.  JMLS, by themselves, dismissed 42!  I'm no math whiz, but that speaks to an institutional issue and not to the quality of student.
Put another way, you are 42 times more likely to face academic dismissal from JMLS than you are from Loyola and almost 4 times as likely than at Depaul.
This is not a commentary as to the quality of education or student, but rather a bit of damning evidence as to a fundamental institutionalized rate of failure due entirely to a ridiculous, meaningless, arbitrary requirement that for every class at JMLS, no fewer than 10% and no more than 20% of all students must receive a D or an F.  No other school so harshly attempts to demoralize and dismiss students.
There are other reasons to elect to go to the other schools you have been accepted at, but none more obvious than this.

snowpeach06

• AOL Instant Messenger - angelcat06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 09:14:32 PM »
I just got into Loyola this afternoon, and should be hearing back from DePaul any day now. Loyola gave me a $5k merit scholarship, but, only for the first year. Kind of useless. But, conveniently I came on here looking for peoples thoughts on Loyola vs. DePaul and saw this. I know that DePaul has some much better ranked programs, and a bit of a better rate of employment, but I know nothing about the areas or quality of life or anything.

2002hoosier

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 09:49:02 PM »
I just got into Loyola this afternoon, and should be hearing back from DePaul any day now. Loyola gave me a $5k merit scholarship, but, only for the first year. Kind of useless. But, conveniently I came on here looking for peoples thoughts on Loyola vs. DePaul and saw this. I know that DePaul has some much better ranked programs, and a bit of a better rate of employment, but I know nothing about the areas or quality of life or anything.

After talking to one of my cousins who practices in Chicago (he went to Kent more than 10 years) he mentioned that student satisfaction was low at DePaul.  I've also read that DePaul has outdated facilities and drab class rooms. Without doing a visit, I can't say, but thats my next step. As for Loyola and DePaul law school locations, they are both in downtown Chicago and easily accessible and surrounded by all sorts of amenities - you can choose to live close or little farther out (cheaper) and take a bus or train. I live in Chicago's Lakeview neighborhood and it will be easy to take public transportation to either school. Certainly, if there is a program or field of study that you are interested in and it is highly ranked at one of those schools, I might make that my top priority.     

nitr0x99

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 02:11:22 AM »
I plan on going on a tour of DePaul soon. The only other school I have seen so far is Kent, which I was very impressed by.  It might have been the fact that Kent was the first law school I had ever been inside, but the atmosphere was very professional and I was very impressed overall. When I go on a tour of DePaul I'll update this thread and let you guys know what its like.

ChelsiMarie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 07:43:21 PM »
I was accepted to Loyola and have been told I got a merit scholarship by the admissions dept. because I got an invitation to a reception in the mail today and haven't even gotten info on how much or anything by mail yet - I am wondering how much it will be for. I know I will probaly find out this week - but everyone on here has been offered the same thing - does anyone know if Loyola offers larger merit scholarships?

I also applied to DePaul, but haven't gotten a response yet, it says it's in the mail.

I hope to move from Austin to Chicago for law school, but the scholarships will make all the difference since I have been accepted to a few places in Texas.