Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chicago Schools: Loyola, DePaul, John Marshall  (Read 7964 times)

2002hoosier

• View Profile
Chicago Schools: Loyola, DePaul, John Marshall
« on: January 23, 2010, 03:27:22 PM »
I have received all of my responses back.  I was accepted at Loyola, DePaul, and John Marshall all in Chicago. John Marshall is offering me a full ride, DePaul is offering a scholarship of $15,000 per year (equates to about a little over a year free), and Loyola says they make their merit based scholarship decisions in March 2010.

Any thoughts on (1) Writing to Loyola in advance of their decision to inform them of the other scholarships in an effort to show there is competition and persuade them to provide a scholarship of some sort? (2) If Loyola doesn't provide a scholarship at all, which one would you choose? I guess having these choices is good... decisions....decisions. 

armyjag

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Chicago Schools: Loyola, DePaul, John Marshall
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 03:52:24 PM »
Yeah, you can try to get Loyola to match, but many schools are having issues right now with endowments, so who knows.

The more important issue concerning the scholarships is the requirements to keep the scholly.  You need to know the GPA/class rank you need to keep the money, and then determine which might be easier to maintain.  Also, ask how they put people in sections.  It's possible that they load one section with students on schol and then let you battle it out to the death, so to speak, knowing that many of you will therefore lose money after the first year.
Proving there is redemption in this world...

2002hoosier

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 04:01:30 PM »
John Marshall's scholarship is contingent on remaining in the "top 20% of your class" and DePaul's is contingent on maintaining a minimum GPA of 3.2 at the end of each academic year.  Would achieving either of those be impacted by the "section" you mentioned in your post?

petermharrington

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 04:15:09 PM »

I'd go to Depaul if I were you

2002hoosier

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 05:05:35 PM »
Thanks Peter - what would you base your recommendation on?

vansondon

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 05:29:25 PM »
hmmm... this is a tough one... I think a chance to go to law school for free is pretty lucrative, but you'd have to ask yourself whether it's realistic for you to remain in the Top 20% of your class at JMLS.  I would send a letter/e-mail to Loyola to let them know about the offers, and wait until march to see what their scholarship offer looks like before making a final decision.

petermharrington

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 06:40:48 PM »

That's my gut instinct. Depaul stacks up pretty well with Loyola. And if they're offering you a $15,000 scholarship, I'd go to Depaul.

nitr0x99

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 02:40:58 PM »
Hey Hoosier

I'm in the same boat as you...almost

I got offered 15K/year at Depaul contingent on a 3.2 GPA

20K/year at JMLS contingent top 20%

and Loyola sent me the same info, basically telling me to wait till March for scholarships

I'm still waiting on Chicago-Kent, but I doubt they will offer me anything similar to Depaul

So, most likely I will be attending Depaul in Fall 2010. Good to know I'm not the only one on these boards in the same situation.

Edit: Update. Loyola just sent me an email after making this post offering me $5000/year scholarship provided I  maintain a 3.0 If I did below a 3.0, the scholarship is cutin half, but if I come back above a 3.0 it is reinstated. Somewhat upset that its only 5K when Depaul offered 15K but thats fine, I didn't really want to go to Loyola anyways.

2002hoosier

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 04:52:51 PM »
Hey Hoosier

I'm in the same boat as you...almost

I got offered 15K/year at Depaul contingent on a 3.2 GPA

20K/year at JMLS contingent top 20%

and Loyola sent me the same info, basically telling me to wait till March for scholarships

I'm still waiting on Chicago-Kent, but I doubt they will offer me anything similar to Depaul

So, most likely I will be attending Depaul in Fall 2010. Good to know I'm not the only one on these boards in the same situation.

Edit: Update. Loyola just sent me an email after making this post offering me $5000/year scholarship provided I  maintain a 3.0 If I did below a 3.0, the scholarship is cutin half, but if I come back above a 3.0 it is reinstated. Somewhat upset that its only 5K when Depaul offered 15K but thats fine, I didn't really want to go to Loyola anyways.

I was deferred at Kent.  I'm glad I got your post.  For some reason my email diverted the Loyola scholarship offer into my junk mail.  They are offering me $10,000 for the first year.  It doesn't specify that it continues into future years but the scholarship renewal by semester is 3.0 GPA.  It was smart for them to get it out now rather than waiting. On to negotiations.

nitr0x99

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 05:13:14 PM »
What is your plan? Just call Loyola and tell them about the scholarship offer from DePaul and hope they match it?

Are you more interested in Loyola than DePaul?