Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Starting a new law journal  (Read 2210 times)

mr_stiles

• View Profile
Starting a new law journal
« on: January 22, 2010, 11:54:44 AM »
Good morning,

I'm interested in starting a new law journal at my law school. My concept is to focus on issues of public policy, economics, and politics, which are not areas of focus for any of the journals currently published by my school. Also, I'm interested in exploring the possibility of a journal based on new media (i.e. digital editions). But I don't know where to start.

Have you been involved in starting a journal? If so, what should I do? What advice do you have?

Thanks!

- Stiles

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
Re: Starting a new law journal
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 01:55:04 PM »
Are you already on a journal at your school?  From talking casually with people who try to start new journals, I hear that it is helpful to have the support of the flagship law journal.

Plus, you might consider attending NCLR.  I went one year, and they had panels about starting new law journals.  You might also just be able to contact NCLR to get the names of the panelists.  (Here is the schedule of events for 2009: http://www.nclr2009.com/Panels_and_Speaker_Bios.html.  They had several panels that look like they would have been relevant to your interests.)  Search for NCLR online.  The next conference is in March in Fort Worth, Texas.