Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NEED GUIDANCE!! - 1L NOT SURE WHAT TO DO OVER THE SUMMER  (Read 3574 times)

jaysond24

• View Profile
    • Email
NEED GUIDANCE!! - 1L NOT SURE WHAT TO DO OVER THE SUMMER
« on: January 21, 2010, 09:57:09 AM »
Hi all -

Please help me with these challenges. I am a 1L, and my first semester did not go so well, my GPA is a 2.27. I go to school part-time and work in finance during the day, so there is a heavy load on my plate. I know I am smarter than that so I hope to do significantly better this semester.

I want to get into SPORTS LAW at the end. I don't know where to start for a summer position (I will be quitting my job to gain legal experience). I do not want to work in a corporate law setting, as of right now at least. Should I...

-ask my finance company to move me to the legal department?
-look to work for a judge?
-try to work at a law firm, unpaid?
-get a legal assistant position (like admin), paid?
-get a legal internship in a sports capacity, like work for the MLB?
-something else?

PLEASE HELP. NEED DESPERATE GUIDANCE.

thank you for the help!

cooleylawstudent

Re: NEED GUIDANCE!! - 1L NOT SURE WHAT TO DO OVER THE SUMMER
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 10:36:42 AM »
I know that my school has a sports/gambling law club. If you look into it your schools may also. I'm not sure about an offical major in it, but at least a lawclub. My school also allows members of other schools to tag along on summer overseas as long you are in good standing with your school.

jaysond24

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 11:03:39 AM »
I know that my school has a sports/gambling law club. If you look into it your schools may also. I'm not sure about an offical major in it, but at least a lawclub. My school also allows members of other schools to tag along on summer overseas as long you are in good standing with your school.

Well I look to join the sports and entertainment club (kinda tough as a part-timer while working). But my question is what kind of work should I be looking for this coming summer?

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 12:16:10 PM »
Does your school have a media law clinic?
Law school clinics are great for the 1L summer because you get experience and credit and you can put it as "work experience" on your resume.  You also get contacts with employers.

Even if you can't get the clinic you want, another clinic (judicial clerkship, elder law whatever) might be a good option to get some experience under your belt.

jaysond24

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 01:55:45 PM »
Does your school have a media law clinic?
Law school clinics are great for the 1L summer because you get experience and credit and you can put it as "work experience" on your resume.  You also get contacts with employers.

Even if you can't get the clinic you want, another clinic (judicial clerkship, elder law whatever) might be a good option to get some experience under your belt.

Not that I know of... but I will check that out. I want to work for a judge this summer, but it has nothing to do with sports law. That's ok right?

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 06:48:02 PM »
As far as I know you can work for any place you want.

Denny Shore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 01:17:21 PM »
If you already have a full time job, your options are limited.
Volunteer at a state's attorney's office, a public defenders office, or a legal clinic on weekends maybe?
Full time students similarly situated should consider doing unpaid internships at law firms or states attorneys offices.  I doubt you'll find much in the realm of sports law, especially since as 1L, you don't know nearly enough to do anything that specific.  If you were a principle at a sports law firm, would you want to deal with a 1L or would you be looking for 2 or 3L's who can actually help you do your job?
I'd go get experience with the state and worry about sports law after 1L is over....  This is one of the downsides to working full time and attending school part time - you take longer to accumulate the requisite knowledge and you don't have time to do full time internships/get experience.

petermharrington

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 03:01:47 PM »

If I were you personally, I would hang onto your finance job.  You may well be better off now than post-graduation.  I don't know where you go to school but times are tough out there.

BEST OF LUCK

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 04:12:32 PM »
If you ultimately want to work in sports law (which is just to say doing any other type of legal work, but through the lens of sports), then you need to have some form of internship or connections. The problem is that you've now waited until many of the application deadlines have passed.

With that said, you need to get legal experience this summer. Just working in the legal department for your company doesn't necessarily mean you'll get experience working on legal matters. Neither will being a legal assistant help. Have you talked to the career services office at your school?
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

petermharrington

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 08:33:16 PM »

I really think that you're going to be better off sticking with your finance job.

I know a girl who gave up a six figure sales job to go to law school.  Do you know what she's doing now?  She's desperately struggling to find a $25,000 sales job.  Well actually, any job whatsoever.

It's pretty brutal out there.