Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Seton Hall... Anyone have thoughts/opinions on any aspect of the school?  (Read 923 times)

THickey2010

• View Profile
Hi guys,
Seton Hall has offered me a ton of money to go there and I am simply worried about the location. I know it is 20 minutes to NYC but how bad is Newark? How good is the school? THOUGHTS?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Seton Hall... Anyone have thoughts/opinions on any aspect of the school?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 03:26:06 PM »
As with most lower-ranked NYC area schools, it is often reviled for it's ridiculously bad cost to job prospects ratio. However, a substantial scholarship could change the game a little bit. Be wary of the grade cutoffs (they are often stacked so as to guarantee most will lose their scholarships).

I would only consider it if you absolutely must be in the NYC area. Surely another similarly ranked school will also offer you money.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

petermharrington

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 10:17:07 PM »

Let's put it this way.  I felt safer being deployed to Iraq than I did living in Newark.  I live in D.C. now and it's a hell of a lot better than Newark.

That being said, it's not really that bad considering how close you are to NYC. And it's relatively safe during normal business hours.  It just gets really sketchy at night and in the wrong neighborhoods.

Best of luck

StonewallJacksonFan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 11:52:41 AM »
It is not too bad in rankings but if you stay in NYC area you will not find a job, guaranteed.  In NYC area it is one of so the called Contract Lawyer Institutes, along with Car-BOZO and Crooklyn. They throw people into one year traffic court clerkships for one year to manipulate their 9 months after graduation employment numbers and then you are on your own, which usually means $30 an hour contract review, which will demolish your resume.

Check out Temporary Attorney and Big Debt Small Law, there should be a few accounts by SH grads...With a full ride you will be in the same bucket, just without loans.