Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2.97/162, Need some help, For decent affordable schools  (Read 2799 times)

LibertyRansom

• View Profile
    • Email
2.97/162, Need some help, For decent affordable schools
« on: January 18, 2010, 12:11:27 PM »
I'm 23 years old, 2.97 Overall From Oswego State in NY, 162 LSAT, Two Recommendations, Physics Prof and Law Prof.  First year brought crap GPA.  I've got a few questions and hopefully someone can suggest some choices.  First, the LSAT/GPA Calculator doesn't take into account that I'm a white male, not-wanted by law schools, so I assume my actual chances are lower than displayed?  Second, in this range, what would be a decent law school, T2, that I could hopefully get some funds from or has a low tuition? NY resident. (Intellectual Property Law Interest)  I'm really hoping for Buff State, but I'm sure their getting showered with apps.  Thanks all!   :)  

I've applied to

1.  University of Buffalo (%75)  16k a year
2.  University of Syracuse (95%) 40k a year
3.  Albany Law (99%) 40k a year
4.  Drexel (99%) 32k a year
5.  Cleveland Marshall (95%) 22k

How Viable is it to get a scholarship from one of these 40K a year schools? 

Kire

• View Profile
Re: 2.97/162, Need some help, For decent affordable schools
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 08:47:53 PM »
Check out this website that will provide a lot of your answers:  lawschoolnumbers.com; click on 'schools' Go to 'Applicants' and 'Graphs' and find great info on where people applied, if they got accepted, $$, and more. If you put your cursor over a dot on the graph, it will bring up the profile of the person on the graph.  BTW - great LSAT score!! 

petermharrington

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 10:57:59 PM »

How the hell did you manage to get a 2.97 from SUNY Oswego?  That school's a joke academically. Congrats on the 162 LSAT though.

Just FYI, I was born and raised in Oswego.  I took some classes at the college while I was in high school.  I then went on to SUNY Geneseo.

And let me tell you, Geneseo puts Oswego to shame academically. There's no comparison. It's unfair that schools like Geneseo and Binghamton have to carry the same SUNY banner as shitholes like Oswego and Oneonta.

But what's even worse is that outside of upstate NY, NO ONE EVEN CARES ABOUT THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SUNY SCHOOLS.

MidWesternPleb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 09:31:11 PM »
 :D

WOW.  SUNY on SUNY crime.  Maybe the single most awesome post on LSD.  Peter, you stay classy.  You're going to be a big hit in LS. 

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 10:05:21 PM »
Cooley would give you a full ride.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 02:26:10 PM »
You should be looking at much better schools with a 162 LSAT.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

LibertyRansom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 11:47:10 PM »
Ended up getting Accepted to all schools, received scholarships that essentially brought them to the 20k a year range.  Buff state with no scholarship is only 15k a year and the better school,  which is where I ended up.  A law degree for 50k sounds reasonable, though all the banter about the surge of law degrees in the marketplace is pretty off putting.

I have no doubt that Oswego is a poor school comparatively to that of Geneseo. 

Wish I would have applied to Cooley earlier, they sent me a few letters, and a free ride would be tempting.  Thanks All!

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 11:49:35 PM »
you can still transfer.  :)

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 01:36:39 PM »
you can still transfer.  :)

And get a full ride as a transfer 2L? I don't think so.

He could still go ahead and apply at cooley and if he gets his free ride, withdraw/forfeit his seat deposit at wherever he orginally accepted...all that school will do is snag someone off the waitlist. It's no skin off these schools' backs, if I were him I wouldn't feel any loyalty til I arrive at the first day of class.

And the fact that no one cares about the difference between the SUNYs should actually work in OP's favour.

I also find it incredibly rude to laugh his GPA to scorn and QUESTION him about it in such a hostile manner.  If he was acting like his GPA is the same as an MIT 3.9, fine to bring him back to reality, but he already realizes it's not good, so why beat a dead horse?

You people need to stop killing off the board's new posts with this hostility.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 01:40:54 PM »
I'm 23 years old, 2.97 Overall From Oswego State in NY, 162 LSAT, Two Recommendations, Physics Prof and Law Prof.  First year brought crap GPA.  I've got a few questions and hopefully someone can suggest some choices.  First, the LSAT/GPA Calculator doesn't take into account that I'm a white male, not-wanted by law schools, so I assume my actual chances are lower than displayed?  Second, in this range, what would be a decent law school, T2, that I could hopefully get some funds from or has a low tuition? NY resident. (Intellectual Property Law Interest)  I'm really hoping for Buff State, but I'm sure their getting showered with apps.  Thanks all!   :)   

I've applied to

1.  University of Buffalo (%75)  16k a year
2.  University of Syracuse (95%) 40k a year
3.  Albany Law (99%) 40k a year
4.  Drexel (99%) 32k a year
5.  Cleveland Marshall (95%) 22k

How Viable is it to get a scholarship from one of these 40K a year schools?

Um, how about you take a new tactic (if you are willing to sit out a year and apply this fall)?

Go to the LSAC and log in.

Do a search of the ABA Guide under detailed search, and find every school with a tuition less than $20,000 (this returns the ones that have this price IN-state) and attrition rate between 1% and 5%.  Don't put in any other preferences.

Then look at the top range of the LSAT scores for the schools that show up.  The ones you meet or beat might give you $$$ if everything else (LORs, PS, DS) = wow.

you could also just search for every any school whose cost is less than $20k.  However beware attrition rates.

Good luck!