Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GW vs. UCD  (Read 866 times)

teoeo

• View Profile
    • Email
GW vs. UCD
« on: January 18, 2010, 12:04:24 AM »
Ok, so I know that everyone is going to tell me that this question should be answered based on where I want to end up living, but I am having a real problem choosing between UCD and GW. I am from Northern CA and I would like to stay in the area, but the most important thing to me is to get a good job in the government (state or ideally federal). GW has offered me a ridiculous amount of money (90k + first year room and board) which accounting for COA should run GW 50k cheaper than UCD. GW is also in DC which seems like the ideal place to find federal work and is higher ranked. UCD, on the other hand, is considered to be the most PI/PS focused UC and thus may also have great opportunities for government work in Sacramento/SF. What do you guys think?

P.S. I am planning on sending davis a letter asking for money if they don't offer me aid

Yhezel

• View Profile
Re: GW vs. UCD
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 11:58:06 AM »
With that offer I would definitely go to GW

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 06:20:34 PM »
With that kind of offer from GW, you'd be crazy to pick Davis (unless they somehow match -- and even then it's a close call).

However, I'm assuming that you applied to more than just these two schools.  I'm sure you'd have a shot at UCLA/USC, possibly Berkeley?  I just want to know what other options you're working with b/c it just can't be GW and Davis.

I understand that your goal is to work for the government upon graduation and, if you're talking about Federal government, then you'd be at a huge advantage going to school in DC.  But, that doesn't mean you can't get good government jobs coming from another school.

I'd also caution you to make decisions based primarily on what you think you want to do after you graduate.  I'll tell you that most law students come into law school not really knowing what the practice of law entails (and we don't really learn that at school anyway).  I'd say that the majority of people change their minds numerous times as to what they want to do.  Some come into law school wanting to do Public interest, but then realize the want to work at a big law firm.  Some want to go to a big law firm and realize they want to be a prosecutor -- you get the drift.  My advice is that you make your decision on a combination of factors:  location, cost, what you think you might be interested in doing, and "rank" (by this i mean the relative prestige of the school).

Either way, you have a great "safety" in GWU with that scholarship, so congratulations and good luck with your decision.

teoeo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 09:17:28 PM »
With that kind of offer from GW, you'd be crazy to pick Davis (unless they somehow match -- and even then it's a close call).

However, I'm assuming that you applied to more than just these two schools.  I'm sure you'd have a shot at UCLA/USC, possibly Berkeley?  I just want to know what other options you're working with b/c it just can't be GW and Davis.

I understand that your goal is to work for the government upon graduation and, if you're talking about Federal government, then you'd be at a huge advantage going to school in DC.  But, that doesn't mean you can't get good government jobs coming from another school.

I'd also caution you to make decisions based primarily on what you think you want to do after you graduate.  I'll tell you that most law students come into law school not really knowing what the practice of law entails (and we don't really learn that at school anyway).  I'd say that the majority of people change their minds numerous times as to what they want to do.  Some come into law school wanting to do Public interest, but then realize the want to work at a big law firm.  Some want to go to a big law firm and realize they want to be a prosecutor -- you get the drift.  My advice is that you make your decision on a combination of factors:  location, cost, what you think you might be interested in doing, and "rank" (by this i mean the relative prestige of the school).

Either way, you have a great "safety" in GWU with that scholarship, so congratulations and good luck with your decision.

Ya, thanks

I am waiting on UCLA/USC and a few others, but was just thinking about this particular dilemma in the meantime xD.

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 09:52:54 PM »

Ya, thanks

I am waiting on UCLA/USC and a few others, but was just thinking about this particular dilemma in the meantime xD.

Well, in this current situation, GW hands down.