Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSDAS GPA and other admissions concerns.  (Read 2741 times)

cstx25

• View Profile
    • Email
LSDAS GPA and other admissions concerns.
« on: January 17, 2010, 03:45:18 PM »
I am writing to get both opinions and concrete answers about law school and admissions. I realize that my undergrad gpa from TX State will be 2.8. I know this is not stellar , but this is coming from a gpa of 1.4 in my sophomore year. During my upward trend I also took on more responsibilities such as working 2 jobs ( managing a restaurant /interning). I am worried b/c my undergrad GPA will not be the same as my LSDAS GPA. I have retaken  some courses for better grades.Unfortunately I have heard that LSAC will not calculate my GPA in the same manner as TX STATE .
 In addition I have much letters of recommendation.
Currently I  volunteer as a mentor and work 3 jobs (law clerk,wedding bartender, private legal aide /process server). I also have endured and accomplished more in my past 2 years than most can ever say.

I as a law school applicant can state the following.

-I am the only one in my generation to go to college
-I am the only one in my family to apply to law school

-In dec 08 I had a stroke and still managed to finish my last semester with a 3.25 while working 2 jobs
-I grew up in a single parent household
-I grew up with  a disabled brother
-I am Hispanic
-I have ADD

I have a passion for law that I cannot describe in words.Please feel free to dissect,ridicule,give advise or help me with may many areas of concern.

Thanks,

CS Texas

allison211

• View Profile
Re: LSDAS GPA and other admissions concerns.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 12:52:22 AM »
I've looked into the whole application process and I only have a 2.79 at my community college, but managed to get a 3.6 at my university. Sadly, many of the top 20 schools only look at numbers. If you do really well on the LSAT- they might take a second look at your application, but ultimately they do recalculate your GPA. Which will include everything- even classes that you retook, that means it'll mostly likely pull your grades down a little. Calculate it with a GPA calculator and see what you're expected at.

I know law schools plug your GPA and LSAT in an equation and get a definite # and if your # is above their "expectations" then you're guaranteed admissions, but if your # is lower- then you might not get in.

SaraJean

• View Profile
Re: LSDAS GPA and other admissions concerns.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 12:53:10 PM »
Hello!
I have a couple websites that may be of interest to you.

First, there's a site called "Law School Numbers" http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ that gives self-reported admissions statistics of people applying for law school.  What's particularly interesting is if you go to the "Schools" menu, select a school, and go to the "graphs" tab.  You'll see that while one's GPA and LSAT score tend to correlate with one's admission chances, but high grades and LSATs don't guarantee one will be admitted.

Second, there's the ABA's Official Guide to Law Schools (http://officialguide.lsac.org/).  If you select the UGPA/LSAT Search option, you can see what your chances are of getting admitted to various law schools.