Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: For Those of You Asking "Should I Go to Law School"...  (Read 35663 times)

REALITY

• View Profile
Re: For Those of You Asking "Should I Go to Law School"...
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2010, 03:58:57 PM »
No shitthats why I started it off with "who cares"

In the end, who cares WHY it works out that way, as long as it does?

First off, let me point out that you didn't address my point on the anecdotal nature of the evidence.

With regard to the WHY, if there's an independent reason that's causing the correlation but you don't take that into account, then there's a good chance that things will no longer continue to work out that way.

Say, for example, that the people you know who are lawyers happen to be the people you know who are smart and motivated.  They would probably have made more money regardless of whether or not they became lawyers.  If, however, you say that the important thing is that they are lawyers and not that they are smart and motivated, and this leads people who are not smart or motivated to go to law school, then your observation that lawyers make more money will no longer hold true, at least not to the same degree.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2010, 11:30:58 PM »
No shitthats why I started it off with "who cares"

People who want to be successful probably want to know what it is that leads to success.  Just a hunch.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2010, 01:14:54 AM »
No!!! All it takes is to coast through college and get some multiple choice questions on a test about nothing.  Then you get admitted into a law school and all your worries drift away.  You become almost superhuman, you can't count the money in your bank account, and you become extremely motivated once you start. Don't you know that law school solves everyone's problems. 

REALITY

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2010, 06:20:08 PM »
Lawschool has nothing to do with undergrad. We all know that now.
"but it might help latter"-FUCKLATTER-just make sure that I get my reach around today to make up for the rest.

No!!! All it takes is to coast through college and get some multiple choice questions on a test about nothing.  Then you get admitted into a law school and all your worries drift away.  You become almost superhuman, you can't count the money in your bank account, and you become extremely motivated once you start. Don't you know that law school solves everyone's problems.

sashlxi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2010, 12:02:23 PM »
EFORE you decide to go to a law school, consider reading the following blogs

Third Tier Toliet

The Jobless Juris Doctor

Shilling Me Softly

Sh*t Law Jobs

Tales of a Fourth Tier Nothing

CHECK YOU THINKING LIKE A LAWYER

But I Did Everything Right!

Subprime JD

The Law School Tuition Bubble

Scammed Hard!

Education Matters

First Tier Toilet

Temporary Attorney: The Sweatshop Edition

Sallie Mae's female dog

Outside Lies Magic

EXPOSING THE LAW SCHOOL SCAM

Highest Education

Fluster Cucked -- America's Race to the Bottom

Rose Colored Glasses

Law School Must Be Debunked

Esq. Never

The Angry Future Expat

Life's Mockery Law Blog

Legal Nihilist

No more room at the bench - latimes.com

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2010, 12:17:02 PM »
I think these are all good blogs to check out for the downside view of law school - but don't get obnoxious with the multiple posts.

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2010, 12:41:23 PM »
I think most poor souls here are blasted by a tsunami wave of cynicism about LS and the legal field already.  I never have been one to give more
than cursory attention to naysayers.  These folks are usually not the doers....
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2010, 12:53:03 PM »
All these blogs seem to imply that it is hard finding a job. Thank god for these warnings I will transfer to the MBA program since  I just talked to their career services and they said anyone who gets an MBA is guaranteed a sweet corner office and 500K salary. I remember when me and my high school friends got bachelors degrees we were overwhelmed with job offers. All great high paying jobs, great work schedule with the ability to choose wherever we wanted to live, but I had to choose law school. The one and only form of education where it is hard to find a job. Thank god for these warnings I will now go down one of the educational or career paths that are easy and lead to guaranteed success.  Only problem is that I forgot what type of degree or job guarantees me this road to easy street. Maybe somebody can help me out?

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2010, 01:00:47 PM »
Bigs,

You done SCREWED UP.  Who needs a stinkin bachelor's degree?  Why didn't you skeedaddle over to Everest and take that CSI course?  I heard they're hiring MILLIONS of people for HUNDREDS of jobs.

You idiot.

;)
"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"

marcus-aurelius

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2010, 01:58:53 PM »
To show that it matters how hard YOU are willing to work.  I have two friends, went to the same school, had the same major, and GPA were closes (3.6 v. 3.5).  One has a NYC job at larger company.  Other is working for a local township.  And then one with the lower GPA is the one in NYC