Applying to law school > Law School Applications

For Those of You Asking "Should I Go to Law School"...

(1/21) > >>

john4040:
An excellent post on the subject can be found here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3301274

Edit (11/1/2010):  Looks like they're charging to view the forums now.  Cache is still up - not sure for how much longer.  http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:9nXi4XV8mPMJ:forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php%3Fthreadid%3D3301274+something+awful+lawyer&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

nealric:
Wow- that's a book worthy post. Definitely worth a read.

I'm making this a sticky.

Thane Messinger:
Aloha, John, nealric, and All -

Yes, this is excellent.  When markets correct, those who happen to be in the entry-level rungs feel the pain first and hardest.  That was true when I graduated, and while I doubt I would have listened, it would have been good to have at least considered what's in the link.

Since nealric mentioned book-worthiness, last year I was handed a manuscript by a new author, and while I was initially appalled (its title is "Slacker's Guide to Law School"), I came to see it in much the same way.  I mention this because it has probably the best section on "Should I go?" of any pre-law book out there, including mine.  (I did address this in a somewhat different way, as my assumption is that most readers are GOING to go.  The real question is where.  So, part of what I advise is to think about the options, such as an MBA, PhD, or the like.  In short, as corny as it sounds, take some time to figure out what you REALLY want, and strive towards that.  If it's action and capital, the MBA or *possibly* MBA/JD is a good bet.  If it's cerebral, a PhD or PhD/JD combo might be better.)  Another major factor is the cost associated with any of these programs.  Defraying these costs is possible, but should also be viewed with a wary eye.

In sum, be very, very careful of going to law school with stars in your eyes.  The actual world of law practice is far, far different from our collective imagination.  That's not to write that it's not attractive.  It is.  But those stars need to be aligned--which for most means, among other things, being exceptionally careful before even embarking on the LSAT--before the stratospheric salaries and fame (and happiness) follow.

In any event, a great link.  And to all, this sticky is very much worth the viewing.

Thane.

bigs5068:
The article was decent to start, but then gets ridiculous the whole food stamps and getting rid of all tier 3 and tier 4 schools is where it goes to far. Then the fact that it just seems to talk about how awful law school is goes to far and it does not shock me that nobody wants to hire these people. If someone says I hate law school and everything about it I don't think an employer is really going to want to hire them. Therefore, it should not be a shock that jackasses that write how unfair everything is and how much they hate law school and the law don't get hired as lawyers.

Honestly, I don't doubt some law school graduates are not doing to well and I know two Hastings grads that didn't pass the bar who are not doing well financially. It doesn't matter that they went to a tier 1 school so to say all t-3 and tier 4's should be unaccredited is a little far.  The ABA does not just hand out accreditation as the case of Western State and La Verne proves. Realistically, a tier 2 school can become a tier 4 school in one year based on the idiotic formula U.S. news uses.

Education is a risk no matter what you do do. I am positive if you look at people going for bachelor's degrees  you will find even worse results. Realistically, right out of high school you could go work as a bank teller and in four years be up to some bank management position instead of going to college paying tuition and living expenses and coming out in debt and gaining little practical experience in four years. At 22 the guy who went to work right out of high school will be doing way better financially than the person who went to college, but education is a LONG TERM investment not short term. For the guy with the B.A. it will probably take years to get ahead and there is no guarantee he will ever catch up. That is why education is an investment not a guarantee. However, you hope that the college kid majored in something he truly enjoyed and is doing a career that interests him if that is the case then the money won't matter.

Same logic applies to law school if you are doing it, because you don't know what else to do it is probably not a good idea to go 100k in debt for something you are not passionate about or care little about. Your career is something you will be doing for a LONG time and if you want to be a lawyer it will be worth it, but going simply to make money is not a good reason.

CJScalia:

--- Quote from: john4040 on January 17, 2010, 12:36:27 PM ---An excellent post on the subject can be found here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3203215

--- End quote ---

I'm confused; they want me to pay $10 just to be able to read a post on their forum? ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version