Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Harvard-Boalt exchange  (Read 1361 times)

snowlvr

• View Profile
Harvard-Boalt exchange
« on: January 16, 2010, 04:09:28 PM »
So I go to HLS. I love it here, but I know I want to go back to California to work. I've been looking around for more info on the exchange program- third year HLS students can spend their third year at Boalt and vice versa. It would be great to get back to California a year early, but I was wondering if anyone on here has done the program and/or what the benefits are (other than the better weather).  Thoughts? Thanks!

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Harvard-Boalt exchange
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 12:38:51 PM »
There aren't many 3Ls/law school grads hanging around here. Have you talked to the Dean of Students office about the program so they can give you more info? Maybe talked about the possible advantages/disadvantages with OCS/OPIA? Just logistically, I know that you have to still complete all the graduation requirements either before you go to Berkeley or while you're there.

I don't know that wanting to work in California will be considered a compelling reason to exchange. I think they're more looking for a certain program or coursework that you want to take there that is different from HLS coursework. I mean, I know it would be great to get back to the better weather of California and all the great people, but it's not like you're at a disadvantage in going to the Bay Area (or anywhere in California) coming from HLS :)
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 08:22:16 PM »
With practicing in CA do you have to register with their state bar as a lawstudent even while attending school out of state in you want to take their bar prior to any other states? Someone from FL told me their state was like that.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 10:54:03 PM »
So I go to HLS. I love it here, but I know I want to go back to California to work. I've been looking around for more info on the exchange program- third year HLS students can spend their third year at Boalt and vice versa. It would be great to get back to California a year early, but I was wondering if anyone on here has done the program and/or what the benefits are (other than the better weather).  Thoughts? Thanks!

Hi. I'm a Boalt 3L and have a couple of friends who are at HLS doing the exchange this year. I think it's really pretty straightforward. The benefits are that you get to live in a different place, be around different students, take different classes from different professors, and generally just mix things up a bit. You can also take advantage of networking opportunities by (1) getting to know more law students from another school and another part of the country (future potentially useful connections - seriously, you'd be surprised); (2) getting to know any professors or practitioners in the area that you think you might want to work with (note that if this isn't something you were good about taking advantage of at your home school, you probably won't be at your new school, either, but I know some people who are really good about it). If you have no other connection to the West Coast it can also be something to point to to demonstrate that you have an interest in living out here, but it sounds like you already do have a connection. It is true that I believe they want you to offer some reason for doing it other than "Cambridge/Berkeley sounds kinda cool," but that can be as broad as wanting a diversity of educational experience or as specific as wanting to take that one class with that one professor. Or getting to meet Tom Cruise in Entertainment Law (or so I hear). The HLS kids here this year seem like they're having a good time, anyway.

It also doesn't seem like it's been a big deal for my friends to finish up their graduation requirements at another school. 3L is 3L.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

xxspykex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 07:07:49 PM »
Why don't you just visit at Stanford?