Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where should I go!?!?!  (Read 3139 times)

justin1104

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Where should I go!?!?!
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 09:54:15 PM »
I'm still waiting to hear back from a handful of the top schools I applied to (Berkeley, U Chicago, Northwestern) but I'm kind of assuming I won't get into those schools and I'm trying to narrow it down to the schools that I have been accepted to.

The main ones I'm considering that I've been accepted to are:
Boston University
Fordham
UC Hastings
Tulane
U Minnesota

So far, Fordham has offered me a $5k per year scholarship, and Tulane has offered a $25k per year scholarship.  I feel like that $75k is going to make a huge difference in eliminating the need for student loans and it's making me consider Tulane pretty seriously.  But am I just not looking at the big picture and should just try to go to the highest ranked school I can get into (in this case BU)?  I'm having a very difficult time making a decision.

Of those I think the only one that can even be argued to be worth full price is BU (UofM/UC-H only if in state), but it would still be a substantial risk...a lot of people would even tell you that paying full at places like Penn or Northwestern is a bad investment these days.  Personally I wouldn't go that far, but realize that the debt you will accrue at expensive schools is no joke (150k - which would be on the low end if you don't have any savings - equals about $1800 in monthly payments for a 10 year term), and the odds of getting a high paying job to pay it back and live comfortably are not that good, even if/when the legal market comes back around.  I would guess most students at BU would be thrilled with a 60K/y job offer right now, which would be BARELY scraping by in Boston with that much debt.  I don't think anyone can knock you for taking the scholarship in your situation.  Also investigate LRAP options if you're interested in public service/public interest.

Thanks, this was very helpful. 

No prob.  I'm looking at schools in your range too.

Just out of curiosity, where are you thinking about going (or have you made a decision)?

Crimson:devil(red)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 10:16:50 PM »
If you have any questions about Tulane, let me know. I promise to answer candidly.
Tulane Law School Class of 2012

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/crimsondevilred

justin1104

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 11:40:46 PM »
If you have any questions about Tulane, let me know. I promise to answer candidly.

I guess I don't have many specific questions, but anything you'd like to tell me is certainly helpful.  Are you happy with your decision?  What has your experience at Tulane been like?

OG Loc

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 12:14:42 AM »
I'm still waiting to hear back from a handful of the top schools I applied to (Berkeley, U Chicago, Northwestern) but I'm kind of assuming I won't get into those schools and I'm trying to narrow it down to the schools that I have been accepted to.

The main ones I'm considering that I've been accepted to are:
Boston University
Fordham
UC Hastings
Tulane
U Minnesota

So far, Fordham has offered me a $5k per year scholarship, and Tulane has offered a $25k per year scholarship.  I feel like that $75k is going to make a huge difference in eliminating the need for student loans and it's making me consider Tulane pretty seriously.  But am I just not looking at the big picture and should just try to go to the highest ranked school I can get into (in this case BU)?  I'm having a very difficult time making a decision.

Of those I think the only one that can even be argued to be worth full price is BU (UofM/UC-H only if in state), but it would still be a substantial risk...a lot of people would even tell you that paying full at places like Penn or Northwestern is a bad investment these days.  Personally I wouldn't go that far, but realize that the debt you will accrue at expensive schools is no joke (150k - which would be on the low end if you don't have any savings - equals about $1800 in monthly payments for a 10 year term), and the odds of getting a high paying job to pay it back and live comfortably are not that good, even if/when the legal market comes back around.  I would guess most students at BU would be thrilled with a 60K/y job offer right now, which would be BARELY scraping by in Boston with that much debt.  I don't think anyone can knock you for taking the scholarship in your situation.  Also investigate LRAP options if you're interested in public service/public interest.

Thanks, this was very helpful. 

No prob.  I'm looking at schools in your range too.

Just out of curiosity, where are you thinking about going (or have you made a decision)?

Leaning towards Minnesota as I have about a half ride offer there, waiting on some reaches also.

lawboy81

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2010, 11:13:19 PM »
I go to Tulane. I'm pretty happy with my choice. I don't love the school, but I like it. You should also take into account that in addition to debt for tuition, the COL in Boston or NYC is a lot higher than New Orleans. So I'd reccommend Tulane on $25K (I would not reccommend it at sticker price unless your trust-fund kid). But Minnesota and BU are appealing too. I don't want Big Law so I'd take the money, but if you're gunning for Big Law maybe BU...