Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where should I go!?!?!  (Read 3166 times)

cooleylawstudent

Re: Where should I go!?!?!
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 10:13:23 AM »
Guy, thats like asking wtf is awsome! http://www.cooley.edu

wtf is cooley?

OG Loc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 10:49:38 AM »
I'm still waiting to hear back from a handful of the top schools I applied to (Berkeley, U Chicago, Northwestern) but I'm kind of assuming I won't get into those schools and I'm trying to narrow it down to the schools that I have been accepted to.

The main ones I'm considering that I've been accepted to are:
Boston University
Fordham
UC Hastings
Tulane
U Minnesota

So far, Fordham has offered me a $5k per year scholarship, and Tulane has offered a $25k per year scholarship.  I feel like that $75k is going to make a huge difference in eliminating the need for student loans and it's making me consider Tulane pretty seriously.  But am I just not looking at the big picture and should just try to go to the highest ranked school I can get into (in this case BU)?  I'm having a very difficult time making a decision.

Of those I think the only one that can even be argued to be worth full price is BU (UofM/UC-H only if in state), but it would still be a substantial risk...a lot of people would even tell you that paying full at places like Penn or Northwestern is a bad investment these days.  Personally I wouldn't go that far, but realize that the debt you will accrue at expensive schools is no joke (150k - which would be on the low end if you don't have any savings - equals about $1800 in monthly payments for a 10 year term), and the odds of getting a high paying job to pay it back and live comfortably are not that good, even if/when the legal market comes back around.  I would guess most students at BU would be thrilled with a 60K/y job offer right now, which would be BARELY scraping by in Boston with that much debt.  I don't think anyone can knock you for taking the scholarship in your situation.  Also investigate LRAP options if you're interested in public service/public interest.

OG Loc

• View Profile

llsatt1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 06:08:33 PM »

a lot of people would even tell you that paying full at places like Penn or Northwestern is a bad investment these days.  .

Penn and Northwestern both have small classes. employment prospects are still good at both schools, even in these times.  the economy will get better.

petermharrington

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 09:24:42 PM »

Everyone assumes the economy is going to get better.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 11:25:35 PM »
whats your theory?

Everyone assumes the economy is going to get better.

petermharrington

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 12:37:53 AM »

I just don't see how this stagnant economy is going to bounce back overnight.  What's going to be the impetus?  What's going to drive the economy out of a recession?

justin1104

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 08:51:34 AM »
I'm still waiting to hear back from a handful of the top schools I applied to (Berkeley, U Chicago, Northwestern) but I'm kind of assuming I won't get into those schools and I'm trying to narrow it down to the schools that I have been accepted to.

Boston University
Fordham
UC Hastings
Tulane
U Minnesota

So far, Fordham has offered me a $5k per year scholarship, and Tulane has offered a $25k per year scholarship.  I feel like that $75k is going to make a huge difference in eliminating the need for student loans and it's making me consider Tulane pretty seriously.  But am I just not looking at the big picture and should just try to go to the highest ranked school I can get into (in this case BU)?  I'm having a very difficult time making a decision.

Of those I think the only one that can even be argued to be worth full price is BU (UofM/UC-H only if in state), but it would still be a substantial risk...a lot of people would even tell you that paying full at places like Penn or Northwestern is a bad investment these days.  Personally I wouldn't go that far, but realize that the debt you will accrue at expensive schools is no joke (150k - which would be on the low end if you don't have any savings - equals about $1800 in monthly payments for a 10 year term), and the odds of getting a high paying job to pay it back and live comfortably are not that good, even if/when the legal market comes back around.  I would guess most students at BU would be thrilled with a 60K/y job offer right now, which would be BARELY scraping by in Boston with that much debt.  I don't think anyone can knock you for taking the scholarship in your situation.  Also investigate LRAP options if you're interested in public service/public interest.

Thanks, this was very helpful. 

OG Loc

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 03:40:52 PM »

a lot of people would even tell you that paying full at places like Penn or Northwestern is a bad investment these days.  .

Penn and Northwestern both have small classes. employment prospects are still good at both schools, even in these times.  the economy will get better.

Yeah, I think that the T17 are all worth their full tuition.  Recessions come and go, but in such a prestige-loving profession, your school stays with you.

OG Loc

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2010, 03:46:07 PM »

Boston University
Fordham
UC Hastings
Tulane
U Minnesota

Thanks, this was very helpful. 

No prob.  I'm looking at schools in your range too.