Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 48 Year Old CPA - Is Law School A Good Idea?  (Read 12786 times)

cooleylawstudent

Re: 48 Year Old CPA - Is Law School A Good Idea?
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 06:21:28 PM »
You are right about the age thing. Older people(seniors make up the majority of our population nowdays) don't trust anyone not close to their age. Its weird but true. You could have a 30year old with 5 years experience, a solid track record and a 4.0 from Harvard and they'd still view him as a punk kid over a 50 year old online grad with only 1 day experience.

That plus people are lazy as hell, they see age and assume experience. Pereception is 90% of reality.

"oh what a nice man, he has a tie......"

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 06:33:37 PM »
I am 47 and will be starting this fall as a 1L. Like you, I have always wanted to be a lawyer. I am not worried about employment prospects. At an admitted students reception, I was already offered a summer internship.  I think because of our age and maturity, we are able to communicate and network more effectively. I only see my age as being an advantage. I think that if law is your passion...you should pursue it...and like the other poster who said that you did not have problems getting work as a CPA at 45, why would you as a lawyer at 50+, I don't think you should let your age hold you back. Good Luck!!

I think that you're generally right about your age and maturity being a net benefit, though I think that in some instances, it can work against you as well.  (For example, if a potential employer wants someone who can put in 16-18 hours a day for months on end.)  But on balance, I think it will help.

I would, however, caution against taking taking the availability of internships as a proxy for the availability of full time jobs.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 08:10:51 PM »
young kids just jealous, wiper-snaper don't know nothin' daddy must've forgot to give'em a good old fashion whoopin' when they needed it was all.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 09:23:34 PM »
young kids just jealous, wiper-snaper don't know nothin' daddy must've forgot to give'em a good old fashion whoopin' when they needed it was all.

You crack me up when you try to sound all folksy.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)