Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cooleys attrition rate  (Read 11616 times)

Mr. Hart

• View Profile
Re: Cooleys attrition rate
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 04:43:29 PM »
ok, it is odd how the ABA don't break attrition down into catagories to make it easier and more accurate readings.

Well it is all a matter of how you spin the numbers. What term are you in?   I started in the Michaelmas term and the first few times we got grades back 1/4 of the class would disappear.  We used to jokingly bet about the difference in the occupied seats in our classes between week 3 and week 4 (once grades posted).

I have yet to see a cooley graduation class over the size of 400 and though I am sure that there have been some, there couldn't have been many.  I graduated with just over 300 students -- my incoming class was over 1,100 students.

This guy doesn't go to cooley. His post was a flame.

CooleyGrad

• ain't no sleep when you're living the dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 04:45:04 PM »
ok, it is odd how the ABA don't break attrition down into catagories to make it easier and more accurate readings.

Well it is all a matter of how you spin the numbers. What term are you in?   I started in the Michaelmas term and the first few times we got grades back 1/4 of the class would disappear.  We used to jokingly bet about the difference in the occupied seats in our classes between week 3 and week 4 (once grades posted).

I have yet to see a cooley graduation class over the size of 400 and though I am sure that there have been some, there couldn't have been many.  I graduated with just over 300 students -- my incoming class was over 1,100 students.

Right -- I just pulled all that out of my ass for fun --

I just finished my externship and will walk May 22

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 04:47:51 PM »
ok. So did you see transfers the first term or only after the full 1L was up?

Mr. Hart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 04:50:13 PM »

Right -- I just pulled all that out of my ass for fun --I just finished my externship and will walk May 22

I was talking about :)-

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 04:57:30 PM »
How do you figure?

Mr. Hart

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 04:59:33 PM »
Well for starters I see you bashing Cooley all the time.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 05:01:47 PM »
First, I tend to support it. Care to point out an example that you didnt just read wrong?

CooleyGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 05:01:59 PM »
ok. So did you see transfers the first term or only after the full 1L was up?

Most schools require to to apply to transfer at a certain credit level.  For my section (we took 4 at a time) it was during the 3rd semester.  BUT most people could only take 3 courses their 3rd term because 4 would have pushed them over the min/max you can have to apply for a transfer.

President Leduc has addressed the student body in the past about the need to curb transfers:

" Of course, we wish that we did not have to increase tuition, but the reality is that the cost of operation escalates and enrollment varies.  The May 2009 class came in below the usual size, and transfers remain too high.  Our operating revenue is tuition-based, so tuition must be set based on projected enrollment numbers. [...]  It is in everyone's interest to recruit new first-year students and to retain them in the second and third year."

That was from an email sent out June 23, 2009 which explained the hike in tuition.

To directly answer your question, not as many people transfer out that actually want to.  You have to consider that in order for another school to take you, they have to turn down another transfer (likely from a more respected school) or a new applicant.  

The transfers in my section that I knew of and remember included: Hofstra,UT Knoxville, MSU, Buffalo, Cumberland, and Florida State.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 05:07:47 PM »
One of my profs mentioned that people transfer into cooley. How many did you see do that? Did they say why?

CooleyGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »
First, I tend to support it. Care to point out an example that you didnt just read wrong?

I know people that are about to graduate that hate cooley.  It isn't out of the question -- but how about a simple quiz to prove you attend?

When you get off of the elevator on the 3rd floor of the Brennan Law Library (where the huge computer lab is) there are a bunch of pictures hung all over that floor.  What are they of?