Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cooleys attrition rate  (Read 11961 times)

cooleylawstudent

Cooleys attrition rate
« on: January 15, 2010, 10:41:44 PM »
I read on here (along with other myths like the cooley curve) that we have a 26% attrition rate. Just wanted to let you guys know thats a lie too. Only 2% fail out their freshman year and only another 2% end up on accademic probation. We have a lot of people come to orientation and then decide to put it off for a semester or too but thats the numbers that your thinking of.

willametterules

Re: Cooleys attrition rate
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 03:04:59 AM »
Truth hurts... 1st year attrition is way above 26%.  Anyone who has or does go to Cooley knows this is a huge problem.  One of my classmates transferred out, he didn't hate the school, but nearly a 1/3 of his class did not make it to 2L.  The numbers below are from LSAC and are reported to the ABA, any others are pure BS. 317 students dismissed for "academic reasons."  That's not people backing out after orientation, that's kicked out after receiving poor grades due to a forced curve which does exist at Cooley.  A legit student at Cooley would know this as well.

http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchResults/SchoolPage_PDFs/ABA_LawSchoolData/ABA1796.pdf

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 06:55:54 PM »
That info is  out of date, I'll trust the up to date info on campus.

Reminder me Troll where do you go to school?

willametterules

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 08:24:30 PM »
That info is  out of date, I'll trust the up to date info on campus.

That info is not out of date, it is the most up to date legally reportable information available... the ABA (accrediting body) bases all credentialing decisions for Cooley on the above numbers.  Any other stats are pure speculation tailored by admissions staff looking to recruit students.  Cooley will have an attrition rate in excess of 25% when it reports to the ABA this Spring... they always do.  I'm not knocking the school, but the facts and historical statistics don't support what you are asserting.  I'd bet you anything that the attrition rate will be 30%+ in the Spring numbers.  I hope the program does retain more students, but that just isn't a goal of their business model.  They admit massive numbers and are content with high attrition.  There is really no debate to be had here.  The numbers just don't lie... 317 flunked out.

The 2% number (wherever it came from) is entirely wrong.

CooleyGrad

• ain't no sleep when you're living the dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 11:39:37 AM »

That info is not out of date, it is the most up to date legally reportable information available... the ABA (accrediting body) bases all credentialing decisions for Cooley on the above numbers.  Any other stats are pure speculation tailored by admissions staff looking to recruit students.  Cooley will have an attrition rate in excess of 25% when it reports to the ABA this Spring... they always do.  I'm not knocking the school, but the facts and historical statistics don't support what you are asserting.  I'd bet you anything that the attrition rate will be 30%+ in the Spring numbers.  I hope the program does retain more students, but that just isn't a goal of their business model.  They admit massive numbers and are content with high attrition.  There is really no debate to be had here.  The numbers just don't lie... 317 flunked out.

Agreed. 

And why would you trust a school's word over that of an independent party (i.e. LSAC).  Having recently graduated from Cooley, it is hard to imagine that a student could attend without noticing the alarming attrition rate.  It is what it is.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 03:23:54 PM »
so your school lies to its students. How's that "helping the school image"?

Agreed. 

And why would you trust a school's word over that of an independent party (i.e. LSAC).  Having recently graduated from Cooley, it is hard to imagine that a student could attend without noticing the alarming attrition rate.  It is what it is.

CooleyGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 03:39:06 PM »
so your school lies to its students. How's that "helping the school image"?

Agreed. 

Whoa -- simmer down.  I never said Cooley lies.  I think that you can calculate attrition several ways.  In order to get the numbers that you reference you would have to not include nonacademic related attrition.  Further, if a student is put on AP and decides to bail because it isn't worth the uphill battle -- that is considered nonacademic attrition as well because the school didn't actually dismiss you.

So in my opinion the attrition rate should reflect the total number of students that leave regardless of the circumstance.  And the numbers you mentioned probably only account for the students that have been placed on AP, dismissed, given a second chance to pull their GPA up to a 2.0, failed, and were dismissed again.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 03:45:50 PM »
ok, it is odd how the ABA don't break attrition down into catagories to make it easier and more accurate readings.

CooleyGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 03:54:08 PM »
ok, it is odd how the ABA don't break attrition down into catagories to make it easier and more accurate readings.

Well it is all a matter of how you spin the numbers.  What term are you in?  I started in the Michaelmas term and the first few times we got grades back 1/4 of the class would disappear.  We used to jokingly bet about the difference in the occupied seats in our classes between week 3 and week 4 (once grades posted).

I have yet to see a cooley graduation class over the size of 400 and though I am sure that there have been some, there couldn't have been many.  I graduated with just over 300 students -- my incoming class was over 1,100 students.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 04:00:05 PM »
I am in my second term(the 6 week wait has begun....) do you think that the attrition rate stayed the same all the way through then? Was it mostly people going "sweet....see ya sucka's I'm going to pepperdine!" Or "Excuse me I need to cut use my bluebook to cut my wrists in the bathroom..."