Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New Found Passion in Law  (Read 966 times)

petermharrington

• View Profile
    • Email
New Found Passion in Law
« on: January 12, 2010, 05:17:12 PM »

Did anyone else discover an area of law that they didn't foresee enjoying?  I went to law school with the expectation of practicing criminal law. Well, I ended up hating Crim Law and loving Contracts. It appealed to me because there was so much ambiguity and room for interpretation under the Restatement and U.C.C.  And drafting a contract can be a pretty creative endeavor. 

Just throwing that out there.

Lemming # 231

• View Profile
Re: New Found Passion in Law
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 04:49:08 AM »
Exact same experience here.  Expected to love crim and hate contracts.  Dreaded the thought of Contracts going in, and found it the most intriguing class by far.  Much more room for intellectual play, ambiguity, etc.  I still can't imagine it as my professional focus, but that may change.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 10:13:01 AM »
Contracts is pretty cool. I am also getting into property and torts more than I thought that I would. Ironicly Criminal Law which I thought would be my main interest is starting to get me disillusioned a bit(lets face it the system is flawed, especially when you start learning all the caselaws) So yeah, unexpected interest and unexpected reversal too.
I might still go defense attorney, but I am leaning more towards corporate law now to be honest with you.

petermharrington

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 02:07:30 PM »

ok, so it's not just me then.