Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Am I Wasting My Time? (GPA: 2.0, LSAT Practice Scores: circa 160)  (Read 25308 times)

cvtheis

Re: Am I Wasting My Time? (GPA: 2.0, LSAT Practice Scores: circa 160)
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2010, 02:59:28 PM »
The OP has a BA in Physics.  he would spend much less time and money getting prepped for the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam.  Once he passed the FA, he would qualify to sit for the patent Bar.

Horrible advice. (unless you already have a science degree which most JD students dont) More debt and many who can ace a JD couldnt get a D in engineering. 

PLUS

There is tons less work in that field. Thats like saying there isnt enough work out there so go back to undergrad and cut out 90% of what you can do. In fact that is exactly what you are saying.

Consider, to do patent law or IP you may not need a JD.  To take the patent Bar you simply need an appropriate "engineering" degree -- check their web site.

IMO, If not going to a T1, you are wasting your time (I'm a T4 graduate) - will need some serious stick to get there w/ a 2.0 GPA.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2010, 11:00:51 PM »
the patent bar is an ok way to go, but FAR LESS jobs in that and MUCH more competition. How is that easier to get a job in than a lawyer?

cvtheis

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 06:30:35 AM »
I do not agree with the premise of "far less jobs" there.  Its been my understanding that IP is one of the growing areas of law.

the patent bar is an ok way to go, but FAR LESS jobs in that and MUCH more competition. How is that easier to get a job in than a lawyer?

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 11:22:07 AM »
If true then how would be forced into "less jobs" by having a JD with it. Unless you want to "hang your own shingle" which most here seem scared to death to do, you wont find much work without with the full JD, plus you can do all law with the JD and be more versatile. Its like saying that you can file taxes with a one semester community college certificate so why waster time getting a CPA? Sounds stupid huh? 
t
I do not agree with the premise of "far less jobs" there.  Its been my understanding that IP is one of the growing areas of law.

NoleGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2010, 12:28:14 AM »
I was admitted to a T4 school last year, and I am currently in the top 20% of my class.  Depending on your goals, I would say you are definitely not wasting your time.  I am relying on my job experience to make me more marketable as an attorney.  There's no reason why you can't do the same.

Oh, you are in the top 20% of a Fourth Tier school? That really impresses employers these days!  <sarcasm> What sort of unique job experience do you have that will make you more marketable as an attorney in these days when many T1 grads are working at Wal-Mart?  You don't have some family connections that will get you a job, do you? I hope to God you are not borrowing a lot of money to finance your dreams. Sorry to be so harsh, but the legal job market is brutal, and having a positive attitude is not much help. Unless you get into a T14 school, rank at the very top of a lower ranked school (like first in your class, not top 20%), have family connections that guarantee you a job or are not borrowing any money to go to school, going to law school is pure idiocy. You'll realize this in about 4 years.

Don't be such a d-bag.  Since I last posted I received my grades and my standing improved to the top 8%, and yes, unlike you apparently, I do have job skills that will make me more marketable in the legal market for the particular type of field I wish to pursue.  My connections have nothing to do with my family, but rest assured my professional ones are very promising. The last time I checked, this segment of the board was dedicated to non-traditional students, not the masses of wet-behind-the-ears T1 grads whose entire existence is fueled by their unreasonable expectation of--immediately upon graduation--acquiring so-called "biglaw" jobs, even though such jobs are on the decline and many of those seeking them have no actual career experience.  You made a lot of unwarranted assumptions in your criticism of my situation, which I shared with the OP to encourage someone else who, probably unlike you, also appears to have some unique experience that will undoubtedly enhance his or her employability in the legal market. You see, I am not going into debt to finance law school so I have the luxury of waiting for the legal market to turn around while I gain legal experience in my current six-figure salary job.  In other words, I already have a high-paying job that includes a generous, lifetime pension (perhaps also like the OP) and the corresponding luxury of time, which affords me some degree of selectivity in carrying out my endeavor to enter the legal profession.  Just because you may have amassed an assload of debt and aren't confident about your limited prospects and inability to obtain employment more prestigious than Wal-Mart greeter does not mean everyone else's debt load and job prospects are as grim and dismal as yours. 

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2010, 12:26:04 PM »
Awesome. Yea if the OP has a 2.0 and a 160 they can probably get into law school and crazy facts are that if you go to law school you learn to become a lawyer. Plenty of tier 3/4 students find jobs in fact well over 50% of students at any ABA school find employment.  Law school is what you make of it and jackasses like mdf1960 probably have never even set foot in a law school classroom, yet criticize something they know jack sh** about.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2010, 05:48:03 AM »
Awesome. Yea if the OP has a 2.0 and a 160 they can probably get into law school and crazy facts are that if you go to law school you learn to become a lawyer. Plenty of tier 3/4 students find jobs in fact well over 50% of students at any ABA school find employment.  Law school is what you make of it and jackasses like mdf1960 probably have never even set foot in a law school classroom, yet criticize something they know jack sh** about.

Just becoming a lawyer is usually not worth $100k+, however.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2010, 04:03:15 PM »
Unless it is something you really want to do. I could do other things right now making more money than I probably ever would being a lawyer, but I like the law so that is what I am doing. I could make a good amount of money bouncing/bartending in clubs and I have.  It is awful and I know people bartending in the city right now that probably make 90-100k a year litearlly. Probably more than I will ever make as an attorney, but working the bar scence is not somethign I enjoy, but plenty of people do. 

It does suck it costs so much to be a lawyer, but if being a lawyer is what you want to do for the next 40 years of your life then it is probably worth the 100k.  Your profession is something you do for a long time I don't know how many times I can say that. Your degree lasts your entire life what happens one year after law school is not very indicative of what the rest of your career will be like. 40 years is a LONG TIME far longer than I or you have even been alive and a lot happens in that amount of time.

Are generation is just so impatient and so entitled that everybody bi**hes and moans when a roadblock comes up.

calgal27

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2010, 07:39:57 AM »
My GPA is 3.69.  Once all my transcripts got to LSAC and they averaged everything out, my cumulative GPA was 3.11.  That is a considerable difference.  I took LSAT 5 years ago and did poorly.  So, even thought I had a high GPA, the LSAT killed my chances of getting into any ABA approved school.  I can get into a state approved school and that is okay for me since by the time I am done with law school (assuming I start fall 2011) I will be almost 50.  I can be a lawyer and not got to an ABA school.