Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Am I Wasting My Time? (GPA: 2.0, LSAT Practice Scores: circa 160)  (Read 25495 times)

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
Re: Am I Wasting My Time? (GPA: 2.0, LSAT Practice Scores: circa 160)
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 06:19:58 PM »
fyi- if you've already graduated, there's nothing you can to do raise your LSDAS GPA
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

krexius

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 11:28:10 AM »
I was going to start a new thread, but due to similarties I'll jump in here.  My background offers several challenges (though hopefully some plusses).  I am an older potential law student, graduating with a degree in Biochemistry in 1994 (making me currently 37)with a poor 2.9 GPA (due to too much studies in the area of ethanol and other college-related hijinks).  I subsequently went to grad school, earning my Ph.D. in biochemistry (GPA 3.9...though is rather irrelevent in the science field as the degree is primarily research based).  I have since done post-doctoral research at two top medical schools, and am currently employed as a scientist at a major biotech company.  Having become quite interested in patent-law here, I'm considering this option.  

With a wife, house, two kids...I'm gathering all info and opinions on the feasability of getting into a good program, and the subsequent ROI following graduation.

Thanks!

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 11:32:02 AM »
lies

fyi- if you've already graduated, there's nothing you can to do raise your LSDAS GPA

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 06:17:52 PM »
lies

no.  This is not a lie.  LSAC's policy states: "Transcripts representing work completed after the first four-year undergraduate degree (considered graduate work by LSAC) will not be summarized, but copies will be sent with the law school report. "

http://www.lsac.org/Applying/lsdas-requesting-transcripts.asp

Please stop disseminating poor information to people legitimately looking for help, and don't be rude to me for passing on the correct information.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 12:43:25 AM »
my god, you give me the link but you don't know how to read it yourself. ALL I repeat ALL of your undergrad, (after you graduate its still undergrad if its not in gradschool) So you can go back and do more studies to count it. I know this because I did it myself and LSAC was cool with it. First hand experience. Just because you don't understand it dosn't make it not true.

NoleGrad

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 11:22:46 PM »
My position was similar to yours, except I couldn't claim a difficult major as an excuse.  I graduated in the mid-90's with a cumulative undergrad GPA of 2.27.  My practice LSAT's were around 160 and my actual LSAT was slightly below my practice average.  I was admitted to a T4 school last year, and I am currently in the top 20% of my class.  Depending on your goals, I would say you are definitely not wasting your time.  I am relying on my job experience to make me more marketable as an attorney.  There's no reason why you can't do the same.

mdf1960

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2010, 07:57:05 PM »
 I was admitted to a T4 school last year, and I am currently in the top 20% of my class.  Depending on your goals, I would say you are definitely not wasting your time.  I am relying on my job experience to make me more marketable as an attorney.  There's no reason why you can't do the same.

Oh, you are in the top 20% of a Fourth Tier school? That really impresses employers these days!  <sarcasm> What sort of unique job experience do you have that will make you more marketable as an attorney in these days when many T1 grads are working at Wal-Mart?  You don't have some family connections that will get you a job, do you? I hope to God you are not borrowing a lot of money to finance your dreams. Sorry to be so harsh, but the legal job market is brutal, and having a positive attitude is not much help. Unless you get into a T14 school, rank at the very top of a lower ranked school (like first in your class, not top 20%), have family connections that guarantee you a job or are not borrowing any money to go to school, going to law school is pure idiocy. You'll realize this in about 4 years.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2010, 10:18:17 PM »
Yes, since the magic 8ball told you YOU would be that guy.(suprise, its a whore and spread the same thing it give you around town) ::)

I was admitted to a T4 school last year, and I am currently in the top 20% of my class.  Depending on your goals, I would say you are definitely not wasting your time.  I am relying on my job experience to make me more marketable as an attorney.  There's no reason why you can't do the same.

Oh, you are in the top 20% of a Fourth Tier school? That really impresses employers these days!  <sarcasm> What sort of unique job experience do you have that will make you more marketable as an attorney in these days when many T1 grads are working at Wal-Mart?  You don't have some family connections that will get you a job, do you? I hope to God you are not borrowing a lot of money to finance your dreams. Sorry to be so harsh, but the legal job market is brutal, and having a positive attitude is not much help. Unless you get into a T14 school, rank at the very top of a lower ranked school (like first in your class, not top 20%), have family connections that guarantee you a job or are not borrowing any money to go to school, going to law school is pure idiocy. You'll realize this in about 4 years.

cvtheis

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2010, 09:43:03 AM »
Consider, to do patent law or IP you may not need a JD.  To take the patent Bar you simply need an appropriate "engineering" degree -- check their web site.

IMO, If not going to a T1, you are wasting your time (I'm a T4 graduate) - will need some serious stick to get there w/ a 2.0 GPA.

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2010, 11:43:55 AM »
Horrible advice. (unless you already have a science degree which most JD students dont) More debt and many who can ace a JD couldnt get a D in engineering. 

PLUS

There is tons less work in that field. Thats like saying there isnt enough work out there so go back to undergrad and cut out 90% of what you can do. In fact that is exactly what you are saying.

Consider, to do patent law or IP you may not need a JD.  To take the patent Bar you simply need an appropriate "engineering" degree -- check their web site.

IMO, If not going to a T1, you are wasting your time (I'm a T4 graduate) - will need some serious stick to get there w/ a 2.0 GPA.