Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How important is family background?  (Read 1036 times)

HR6352

• View Profile
How important is family background?
« on: January 10, 2010, 02:24:50 PM »
I saw this morning that male private part Cheney's daughter Liz has a JD from the University of Chicago.  When she applied in 1993 how important was her famous father (he had been secretary of defense).  I'm sure law schools look at that because people related to powerful politicians are likely to become important and bring interest and revenue to the school.

How famous does your mom or dad have to be for it to matter?  President?  Senator?  And are kids supposed to slip into the personal statement that their parents are important.  ("During the Gulf War, I was impressed by my father's...)

HR6352

• View Profile
Re: How important is family background?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 10:01:12 AM »
I didn't actually write "male private part."   :D

HR6352

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 10:03:47 AM »
It doesn't help much.. People will admire the family relation but it will not give extra credit.. What matters is the persons accomplishment and how he/she perform in the school :-)

What do you base that on?  If you're Barack Obama's daughter, a top college must realize that your earning potential is going to be much higher than that of a superior student.  I'd figure they'd want to claim her as an alumna.  

HR6352

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 07:06:54 PM »
What about the LSAT?  You think being Cheney's daughter gave her more of a boost than being an URM would've? 

Denny Shore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 11:52:16 PM »
First off, I am not aware of any source that makes a claim that she had a low UGPA or LSAT score.  What I am aware of is that prior to law school, she had some serious jobs with serious credibility.
She "worked for the State Department for five years and the U.S. Agency for International Development between 1989 and 1993."
That probably helped some as well.  Plus, when she went to college, she wrote a senior thesis.  Did you?  I sure didn't.
That said, yes - being the child of an influential person can help get a person into good schools.  It makes sense that prestigious schools would want prestigious alumni. 
Of course being Cheney's daughter gave her more of a boost than being a woman would.  As to the speculation that she was a C student, that's likely pure exposition based on political affiliation more than proof, logic, or reason.  The University of Chicago is a fine law school and I don't think she would have graduated and been able to do so much if she was marginally acceptable, despite her famous father.  Try to remember that for as many people who might consider the Cheney name an asset, there are also plenty who would see it as a liability. 
For the record, I'm sure Bill Gates' children will be able to get into whatever school they want as well.