Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Preptest help please  (Read 2115 times)

Pepperdine2010

• View Profile
    • Email
Preptest help please
« on: January 08, 2010, 09:03:37 PM »
Hi everyone,

Would anyone mind helping me with these, please?

Preptest 25, June 1998, Section 2, LR 21:

If the parking policy is unpopular with the faculty, we should modify it. If it is unpopular among students, we should modify it. It is bound to be unpopular either with the faculty or students.

If the statements above are true, which of the following must also be true?

A.)   Attempt to popularize the parking policy among either the faculty or students.
B.)   Modify the parking policy only if this will not reduce its popularity among students.
C.)   Modify the parking policy if modification will not reduce its popularity with the faculty.
D.)   If the parking policy is popular among students then we should adopt a new policy.
E.)   If the parking policy is popular with the faculty, we should adopt a new policy

Correct answer E. Why, please? 

Preptest 25, June 1998, Section 3, LG 2:

Exactly 6 tourists- H, I, K, L, M, N are assigned to 4 guides: V, X, Y, Z. each tourist is assigned to exactly 1 guide, with at least one tourist assigned to each guide. V speaks only French, X speaks only Turkish and Spanish, Y speaks only French and Turkish, Z speaks only Spanish and Russian. Each tourist speaks exactly 1 of the languages spoken by his or her guide and speaks no other language.

Following rules:
At least H and I are assigned to Y.
At least L is assigned to Z
If K is assigned to X, then M speaks French.

Someone please help me with the setup/diagram for this one. Thank you.

Preptest 25, June 1998, Section 3, LG 3:

6 people- K, L, M, O, P, S plays exactly 1 of 2 sports- golf and tennis. If a sport is played by more than 1 of the 6 people, the people who play that sport are ranked in order of ability from highest to lowest, with no ties. Following conditions:

O plays tennis
L plays golf
If M plays golf, P and S play golf, P ranks lower than M and higher than S
If M plays tennis, S plays tennis, S ranks lower than O and higher than M
If P plays tennis, then K plays tennis, O ranks lower than K and higher than P.

Please help me with the setup/diagram for this also, please. Thank you.

Preptest 24, December 1997, Section 3, LR 19:

Every student who walks to school goes home for lunch. It follows that some students who have part-time jobs do not walk to school.

The conclusion of the argument follows logically if which one of the following is assumed?

A.)   Some students who do not have part-time jobs go homes for lunch. (contender)
B.)   Every student who goes home for lunch has a part-time job. (loser)
C.)   Some students who do not have part-time jobs do not go home for lunch. (contender)
D.)   Some students who do not go home for lunch have part-time jobs. (contender)
E.)   Every student who goes home for lunch walks to school. (loser)

Correct answer is D. Why, please?  (I know this is a Justify the Conclusion question stem and I applied the tricks necessary to solve for this particular stem, but they didnít work  :().

Thank you for taking the time to read through all of this. I greatly appreciate it.

Cambridge LSAT

• View Profile
    • Cambridge LSAT
    • Email
Re: Preptest help please
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 02:57:54 AM »
For the second game on PT 25, it helps to list the languages with the guides. You could also draw out three templates:
#1: K with V, and at least one of M and N with X
#2: K with X, and at least one of M and N with V
#3: M and N with V and X (not necessarily respectively), and K with one of Y and Z

Cambridge LSAT

• View Profile
    • Cambridge LSAT
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 01:29:49 PM »
UPF = unpopular with the faculty
UPS = unpopular with the students
MP = modify the policy
NP = adopt a new policy

We can diagram this question as follows:
Premise 1: UPF --> MP
Premise 2: UPS --> NP
Premise 3: UPF --> UPS; UPS --> UPF

(E) UPF --> UPS --> NP
This is essentially P3 + P2.

lulu7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 03:00:26 PM »
UPF = unpopular with the faculty
UPS = unpopular with the students
MP = modify the policy
NP = adopt a new policy

We can diagram this question as follows:
Premise 1: UPF --> MP
Premise 2: UPS --> NP
Premise 3: UPF --> UPS; UPS --> UPF

(E) UPF --> UPS --> NP
This is essentially P3 + P2.

I don't understand your representation of premise 2. Shouldn't it be UPS --> MP just as it is for premise 1? The language is identical, and unless OP posted the question incorrectly, shouldn't the representation of premises also be identical?

Cambridge LSAT

• View Profile
    • Cambridge LSAT
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 03:42:10 PM »
Yes, OP made a slight error in transcribing the question.

llsatt1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 06:22:21 PM »

If the parking policy is unpopular with the faculty, we should modify it. If it is unpopular among students, we should modify it. It is bound to be unpopular either with the faculty or students.

If the statements above are true, which of the following must also be true?

A.)   Attempt to popularize the parking policy among either the faculty or students.
B.)   Modify the parking policy only if this will not reduce its popularity among students.
C.)   Modify the parking policy if modification will not reduce its popularity with the faculty.
D.)   If the parking policy is popular among students then we should adopt a new policy.
E.)   If the parking policy is popular with the faculty, we should adopt a new policy

Correct answer E. Why, please?  

You have to read closely for this question.  You should be able to immediately throw out A, B, and C.  It comes down to D and E.  D is incorrect because if the policy is popular among students, then it must be unpopular among faculty, and if is unpopular among faculty then the policy should be modified, not adopt an entirely new policy.

Preptest 24, December 1997, Section 3, LR 19:

Every student who walks to school goes home for lunch. It follows that some students who have part-time jobs do not walk to school.

The conclusion of the argument follows logically if which one of the following is assumed?

A.)   Some students who do not have part-time jobs go homes for lunch. (contender)
B.)   Every student who goes home for lunch has a part-time job. (loser)
C.)   Some students who do not have part-time jobs do not go home for lunch. (contender)
D.)   Some students who do not go home for lunch have part-time jobs. (contender)
E.)   Every student who goes home for lunch walks to school. (loser)

Correct answer is D. Why, please?  (I know this is a Justify the Conclusion question stem and I applied the tricks necessary to solve for this particular stem, but they didnít work  :().

[ // = not ]

walk to school -> go home for lunch (negation: //go home for lunch -> //walk to school

PT Job  <-S->  //go home for lunch --> //walk to school

PT job <-S-> //walk to school

only D provides the assumption needed to get to the third statement

Pepperdine2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 07:31:11 PM »
Thank you, Cambridge LSAT and llsat1 for the help. I apologize for the stupid questions. I'm going into LSAT meltdown  :'(. I may just post a question next week asking how to diagram a not law (with the way my luck is going).

Cambridge, thank you very much for the LG diagram and LR breakdown. Both make perfect sense. I created a diagram exactly the same to the first you created but I didn't continue diagramming the other templates (why? I don't know  :().

llsat1, thank you for the LR breakdown also. Your explanantion makes sense too.

Thanks again! ;D

Pepperdine2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 08:57:32 PM »

They're not stupid questions!  ;)

Thank you.  :)