Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: masters before law?  (Read 2758 times)

justice4all

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
masters before law?
« on: January 08, 2010, 07:52:12 PM »
What do you all think about a masters before law school?  Do you all think it helps you get in to law school?  Maybe get in a better law school?  Make up for lower undergrad gpa or lsat?  Thoughts?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: masters before law?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 04:36:11 PM »
It will not help you get into a better law school or make up for an undergrad GPA. No point in doing it if law is the goal.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

HR6352

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 10:34:46 PM »
The advantage would be so small that it wouldn't be worth spending a year on.  It's LSAT and GPA only.

environmintyfreshness

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 05:30:56 PM »
I treated mine like just another soft. I know it didn't make a bit of difference in acceptances, and I have no idea if it even made a difference when it came to scholarship offers from places that accepted me (I'm betting it didn't even register). But for me, it was a great experience, helped me decide what I want to do with my law degree, and gave me reinforced passion about the law profession--all of which I talked about in my PS. If you're on the fence about whether you want to go to law school at all, a Masters in a related field may be a good option (depends entirely on your situation), giving you the option of getting a good non-law job at the end, if you decide not to pursue law after all. But if the goal is just to get into a good law school, don't do it.

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 06:33:59 PM »
If it is in a hard science, it may help you find IP work. Short of that, it is completely worthless from a law perspective.