Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Great 1st semester GPA......3rd Tier NYC school....options?  (Read 3867 times)

absilv123

• View Profile
Great 1st semester GPA......3rd Tier NYC school....options?
« on: January 07, 2010, 11:41:36 PM »
So I just got back my grades for my first semester at NYLS and to my complete ( but very pleasant) surprise I managed to pull off straight A's.  With a 4.0 GPA at a T3 school in the toughest legal market in the country (arguably)........does anyone have any suggestions for the summer? What are my chances of makin some moolah at a firm (big or medium - most likely medium)?  I'm fairly confident that I'll find something unpaid but do my first semester grades help me find something better when I'm competing with the NYU/Columbia/Fordham's....etc???

Any direction would be a huge help!

Thanks!

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Great 1st semester GPA......3rd Tier NYC school....options?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 12:40:17 AM »
Transfer

absilv123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 11:13:44 AM »
not gonna lie......i thought about it.....what do you think my chances are at NYU or Columbia tho?  I would consider Fordham or Brooklyn, but I feel like I'd still need to be up there in my class ranking at either of those schools (especially Brooklyn) to be competitive.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that just graduating from NYU or Columbia (no matter what your class rank is) puts you in terrific shape in terms of employment prospects, as opposed to graduating top of your class from NYLS.

And can you just give me your thoughts on jobs for this summer....I still need to do well 2nd semester also for transferring to be realistic.  Based solely on my 1st semester grades though, what do you think are my best job possibilities for this summer?

Thanks.

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 11:42:26 AM »
not gonna lie......i thought about it.....what do you think my chances are at NYU or Columbia tho?  I would consider Fordham or Brooklyn, but I feel like I'd still need to be up there in my class ranking at either of those schools (especially Brooklyn) to be competitive.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that just graduating from NYU or Columbia (no matter what your class rank is) puts you in terrific shape in terms of employment prospects, as opposed to graduating top of your class from NYLS.

And can you just give me your thoughts on jobs for this summer....I still need to do well 2nd semester also for transferring to be realistic.  Based solely on my 1st semester grades though, what do you think are my best job possibilities for this summer?

Thanks.

You're a 1L at a 3T law school, even with a 4.0, your employment options are limited. You still should be able to find some unpaid internship (non-profit, govt agency, judicial).

As far as transferring goes, Fordham and Brooklyn are not the greatest schools either. Still better than 3T but they are in a very competitive market, hard to compete with all the top schools. Transfer to the best school you can get into. If you have a 4.0 next semester (or almost as good) Gtown may take you. I am not familiar with the exact numbers, but I believe NYU takes a lot of transfers. Maybe Columbia does too. But they are very, very competitive.

TTom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 12:55:43 PM »
So I just got back my grades for my first semester at NYLS and to my complete ( but very pleasant) surprise I managed to pull off straight A's.  With a 4.0 GPA at a T3 school in the toughest legal market in the country (arguably)........does anyone have any suggestions for the summer? What are my chances of makin some moolah at a firm (big or medium - most likely medium)?  I'm fairly confident that I'll find something unpaid but do my first semester grades help me find something better when I'm competing with the NYU/Columbia/Fordham's....etc???

Any direction would be a huge help!

Thanks!

I'd put your chances of getting a paid position at 1%, and your chances of getting an unpaid position at 33%. There just aren't enough jobs out there for everyone and you're low on the totem pole. Transfer if you can.