Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Very very bad on LSAT diagnostic test  (Read 3374 times)

SaskiD

• View Profile
Very very bad on LSAT diagnostic test
« on: January 07, 2010, 08:28:18 PM »
Hi all,

i have been thinking of study in law school in just 2 years ago, and i am international student which is english is my second language. I took the Kaplan prep course, and i scored only 125 on their diagnostic test. I know this is very  very bad one, do you guys think i still have the chance in scoring 50th percentiles in the future. Or should i forget of dreaming get into law school? Is anyone get the same situation w/me? I feel very very down on my test score, and almost want to give up??

Need ADVICES!!!

hopefulsplitter28

• View Profile
Re: Very very bad on LSAT diagnostic test
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 11:12:21 PM »
Don't be discouraged. You need to improve your English first. Your current score does not indicate your potential at all.

My English is good, though it is my second language. My diag was 151; my official test scores were 166 after less than 3 months of study and 172 after 5 months of study.

ryanjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 06:32:30 PM »
^this. You need to improve your English a lot first.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 08:13:44 PM »
I would spend a few years in the U.S. (or other English speaking country) doing a lot of reading/writing/speaking of English before trying to tackle the LSAT. English writing ability is about the most important skill for both lawyers and in law school. Right now, your diagnostic score isn't really telling you much other than you are still learning the language.

I'm sure I would have bombed the LSAT if it were in Spanish (which I have some ability in, but certainly nowhere near enough to practice law in).
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 07:04:06 PM »
english?

Tru

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 08:22:50 PM »
SaskiD, I am in the same trouble. I am also attorney from an other country and I am taking Powerscore  full length course. The corse is pretty good, but let me tell you that I can't get any better from my first practice test =(... My score still 126 and I am studying really hard. I had been study since September 2010 and is almost the December 2010 test, and I am still in the same possition; some times I got up 1 , 2 o 4 points, but no more than that. I am really upset and the same time disillusioned by the test. I will try my best, but I don't know if my poor score helps me to get into the law school. I am not sure if its about lenguage or ir it is about if we are a good or bad test takers. I hope the best for you and for me lol. If you guys have some advice for us please do not hesitate to write it.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 11:49:10 AM »
SaskiD, I am in the same trouble. I am also attorney from an other country and I am taking Powerscore  full length course. The corse is pretty good, but let me tell you that I can't get any better from my first practice test =(... My score still 126 and I am studying really hard. I had been study since September 2010 and is almost the December 2010 test, and I am still in the same possition; some times I got up 1 , 2 o 4 points, but no more than that. I am really upset and the same time disillusioned by the test. I will try my best, but I don't know if my poor score helps me to get into the law school. I am not sure if its about lenguage or ir it is about if we are a good or bad test takers. I hope the best for you and for me lol. If you guys have some advice for us please do not hesitate to write it.

I hate to say it, but based on the language in this post, your problem is language ability. No amount of test studying is going to fix that.

Even if you could get into law school, your language ability will cause problems in law school. I think the only real solution is taking a few years to work on your English reading/writing abilities.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?