Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Retaliation by current school after failed transfer attempt?  (Read 3016 times)

Lillian_2

• View Profile
Retaliation by current school after failed transfer attempt?
« on: January 05, 2010, 12:30:23 AM »
Has anyone heard of administrators retaliating after a failed attempt to transfer?  I'm thinking mostly in terms of a career services official who becomes unfriendly or a Dean who is less willing to be helpful later on.  Maybe I've read too many JD underground stories about BLS retaliating against would be transfers but it's something I'm nervous about. 

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Retaliation by current school after failed transfer attempt?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 12:19:24 PM »
Quit being paranoid.  The law school will happily take your money and your employment goes into their employment statistics.  The better job you get, the more likely you will be to donate money.

They aren't going to burn you.  Chill.

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 09:10:59 PM »
I recall one school not allowing students who attempt to transfer to participate in OCI. I don't remember which school, anyone else remember?

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 09:54:41 PM »
I recall one school not allowing students who attempt to transfer to participate in OCI. I don't remember which school, anyone else remember?

I think it was Loyola (LA), but I'm not 100% sure.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Jorden

• View Profile
    • My Favorite Resource
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 04:07:41 PM »
I'm sure there have been schools which have had administrators do this however there should be some type of action that could be taken by the student if it came down to something like this happening.
Want to learn more for FREE? Go over to http://www.lawiki.org FINALLY a wiki site just for law students! I LOVE IT!

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 05:31:03 PM »

you must be talking about OCI for 2L.  Doesn't OCI for 2L take place after you know whether you have been accepted or rejected for a transfer?  So I don't see why a school would prevent you from interviewing if you are unsuccessful in transferring.  I have heard of cases where you are successful in transferring, in which case you would not be able to interview at your former school.  I guess in those cases where OCI overlaps with transfer decisions, it would make sense for the current school to not want you to interview, because you could be gone in the fall.  I wouldn't call this "retaliation" though.

wut

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 11:29:05 PM »

you must be talking about OCI for 2L.  Doesn't OCI for 2L take place after you know whether you have been accepted or rejected for a transfer?  So I don't see why a school would prevent you from interviewing if you are unsuccessful in transferring.  I have heard of cases where you are successful in transferring, in which case you would not be able to interview at your former school.  I guess in those cases where OCI overlaps with transfer decisions, it would make sense for the current school to not want you to interview, because you could be gone in the fall.  I wouldn't call this "retaliation" though.

Yes, by OCI I meant 2L OCI, but I am not talking about missing the OCI at your new school.  The situation I recall was that if a student requested their transcript be sent to a new school or LSAC, they were unable to place bids for their current school's OCI. 2L OCI bidding takes place in the summer, so the school cut off people attempting to transfer during that summer, regardless of whether they were successful or not, I believe. But again, I don't remember which school was doing this and I don't think that is very common.

Jorden

• View Profile
    • My Favorite Resource
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 05:29:35 AM »
I'm sure there have been schools which have had administrators do this however there should be some type of action that could be taken by the student if it came down to something like this happening.

anything is possible but it is very, very unlikely.

That is sad that a student of law would have to worry about something like this to begin with. People have always said that every system no matter how small, always has a loophole. I guess this is one of them. :) Pretend you didn't attempt to transfer and go on with your studies. If nothing is said then all is well right?
Want to learn more for FREE? Go over to http://www.lawiki.org FINALLY a wiki site just for law students! I LOVE IT!

xxspykex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 01:59:36 AM »
I don't think many schools will proactively retaliate against a person specifically. However, what a lot of schools will try to do is hold off on releasing grades and/or class rank until after many of the decisions have been made at other schools (where it is to late to consider transferring). My t3 did this last year with holding off on calculating class rank until well past the application deadlines and past when some of the decisions at top schools were made (meaning the school had to make a decision without my class rank available to them).