Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UF 2L Taking Questions  (Read 4970 times)

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
UF 2L Taking Questions
« on: January 04, 2010, 10:07:56 AM »
Hello again!  I see that this place is dead now; what happened?  With the small likelihood that there is anybody here, I'm willing to take questions about UF.  Shoot them if you have them!

BigEast5

• View Profile
Re: UF 2L Taking Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 10:35:26 AM »
I was thinking about transferring to UF.  Do you know any transfers?  If so, how difficult/competitive was it for them?  Thanks.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 11:35:53 PM »
I was thinking about transferring to UF.  Do you know any transfers?  If so, how difficult/competitive was it for them?  Thanks.

That's a good question.  I know of people who transferred, but they're "merely" people I have met maybe once or twice ever.  Now that I think of it, two UF law students who transferred into UF, in fact, wrote a book about the transferring process that may (or may not) help you:

http://www.law.ufl.edu/flalawonline/2009/08312009/transfer.shtml

(I never read the book and don't really know them, so I cannot vouch for the book's accuracy.)

I can think of approximately half-a-dozen people off the top of my head that are transfers, so my guess is that UF accepts many of them.  (Also, UF is large for a law school, and transfers don't figure into the USNWR rankings, so normally schools are more lenient with transfer admissions.) 

The link on the website doesn't give much information wrt transfer admissions (http://www.law.ufl.edu/admissions/transfer.shtml); there are no statistics or guidelines for the most part.  My guess, based on what I've heard, is based on common sense and what I've heard: if you went to a lower-ranked school, you probably better be in the top of your class (at least 1/3rd or so).  This is a very rough approximation, though, based on the very limited anecdotal knowledge that I have. 

byebyeny

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 09:39:17 PM »
Do you know about the grading policy UF has? Do professors who teach the first year courses have to give out C-'s to a certain percentage of the students?

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 12:31:10 AM »
Do you know about the grading policy UF has? Do professors who teach the first year courses have to give out C-'s to a certain percentage of the students?

Check out this link:

http://www.law.ufl.edu/students/transfer/policies.shtml

For classes of 26 or more, the curve must be between 3.15 and 3.25 (and UF's law school just instituted minus-grades to its grading system).  If there are 25 or fewer people, "there is no minimum and the maximum is 3.60."

It seems that normally, a vast majority of people here land B's.  It's hard to say the distribution of A-minuses and B+, due to the change in grading this past semester.  However, in previous years, it was thought that C's aren't extremely common. 

dayman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 07:53:25 PM »
When you transfer, do you get an official ranking at the end of it all? How does that work? Just a personal ranking for the 2 years you were at the place you finally get teh JD at?

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 10:31:53 PM »
When you transfer, do you get an official ranking at the end of it all? How does that work? Just a personal ranking for the 2 years you were at the place you finally get teh JD at?

That's a good question, and I don't really know.  UF only ranks those in the top 15%, and even then they only rank at the end of your 1L year, and then don't do it until you graduate.  It's an odd system, IMHO....

Sephiroth

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 03:11:47 AM »
Awesome! How's UF?   My question is a bit unorthodox..so hope you can give it a go..HOW is the student life there, for grad students?  How has your experience been like?  Do you go to football games, what does the grad body do for fun, is there always stuff to do, etc. Do you recommend?  And what's the age range in your law school class?  How are the teachers?  thanks

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 09:58:42 PM »
Awesome! How's UF?   My question is a bit unorthodox..so hope you can give it a go..HOW is the student life there, for grad students?  How has your experience been like?  Do you go to football games, what does the grad body do for fun, is there always stuff to do, etc. Do you recommend?  And what's the age range in your law school class?  How are the teachers?  thanks

The student life is great here.  Keep in mind that I came from a small undergrad., but the law school is nice, because you get the "small-town" atmosphere, but you can take advantage of the larger campus functions.  (The law school, even though it is by "frat row" and the sports complexes such as the golf course, track, and football field, is on the edge of campus, so it's quieter there.)  Many law students play basketball, tennis, etc. at the sports facilities, and many play intramurals.  Also, many play in the Grad Cup, which is a competition between the graduate schools. 

Most law students go to the football games if they win the lottery (and many do).  There's a downtown, which has its upscale (and downscale) bars/clubs.  And there's plenty of other stuff to do, such as hiking (seeing wild alligators/etc.). 

Most law students are young, although UF values diversity.  I don't just mean ethnic and racial diversity, but UF law students come from all walks of life.  That's something I really enjoy here. 

The professors are solid, although I think sometimes they dwell too much on the theoretical.  Again, though, they're top-notch.

If you have any other questions or need clarifications, feel free to ask.  I don't come on here too often, but I try to check this site daily. 

Sephiroth

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 03:38:17 AM »
Awesome! Sounds good so far.  I was a bit confused when you said most law students attend f-ball games if they win the lottery..what does this mean? Just a slang or something I'm missing?