Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Personal Statement--question  (Read 817 times)

bluerose1482

• View Profile
    • Email
Personal Statement--question
« on: January 01, 2010, 12:56:45 PM »
Describe my personal and educational background?!?  Can someone give me a little more to go on than that?  How long should it be and what should I talk about.

I'm not really a traditional law applicant (if there is such a thing).  I'm 30 and was a chemistry major and then an education major before leaving school for 5 years (during which time I had 2 children and a small farm) which kept me very busy.  I went back to college for one semester and graduated with a BGS.  During my 5 year break, I have plenty of stories that I could tell, which are somewhat entertaining, like the first time I milked the annoying, fence jumping, extemely WILD milk cow that my husband simply had to have or the first time my husband wasn't home and I had to assist in the birth of a baby goat.  Unfortunately, that's pretty much all I did for 5 years and those things aren't exactly relavent to law school. 

I was the second born in a family of 5 children.  We were poor and moved a lot.  By the time I graduated from high schools, I had attended 11 different schools.   It was a lifetime ago, and I don't especially feel like thinking or writing about my childhood.  If I had applied to law school at 22, I'm sure that my childhood experiences would have felt more relavent to me, but at this point I don't want to dredge up things that happened 20 years ago.

I currently teach middle school math.  And while, there are some things that I love about my job, particularly the way that I make a difference in the lives of young people the way that so many dedicated teachers impacted my life.  It isn't enough.  Everyday I day dream about law school.  I thought that the joy that I would get from doing something as noble as teaching would be enough to justify not pursuing the career that has been calling me for many years now.  It isn't, and I'm not sure how to explain that without comming off as a flake who won't stick with law school.

Suggestions?