Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: When to ask for a LOR?  (Read 2569 times)

The Brian

• View Profile
When to ask for a LOR?
« on: December 27, 2009, 11:41:04 PM »
So I had an internship over this past summer, and I'm probably going to use my boss for one recommendation with the other two coming from professors. The problem is, I'm currently a junior, and I won't be applying for at least another year (aiming for Fall '11). I'm afraid if I wait any longer to ask for a LOR, too much time will have passed between the time I've worked with him this past summer and the time I'll actually start applying. So what should I do? Also, where do I send a LOR?

THANKS.

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: When to ask for a LOR?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 11:16:02 PM »
Ask for it NOW.  There's no such thing as having one finished too early.  Just have your boss put it in a sealed envelope; you can send it to LSAC later.  Plus, it won't be that long if you're aiming for Fall '11:  LSAT this summer, applications in the fall -- it will be here before you know it.

Also, I'd have to recommend not applying to law school.  Just sayin'. 
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

The Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 01:37:07 AM »
Thanks, I'll ask for a letter soon!

Also, if I don't apply to law school, what do you propose I do?

SaraJean

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 01:36:45 PM »
If you haven't already asked for that letter, may I make a suggestion?  Go ahead and register with LSAC and purchase your LSDAS subscription now.  It's not too early.  I registered this year, and my account expires in 2015.

When using the LSDAS LOR service, you'll have a paper form each recommendation writer will need to attach to his/her letter when he/she sends it to LSAC.  If your boss sends the letter and the form to LSAC, it will be in your LSDAS file when it's time for you to apply.  That will be one less document about which to worry when you're getting together your documents.

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 01:04:02 PM »
Thanks, I'll ask for a letter soon!

Also, if I don't apply to law school, what do you propose I do?

Good question.  No answers.  All the laid off people with more experience and people's friends and families who are also looking for work are sucking up available positions.

ralphmurray01

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 08:27:14 AM »
If you will not apply in the Law School.. Then find the place that you think you are more comfortable..
It's just my idea.. But yours must be follow..
Good luck...