Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: TRICKY T1 vs. T2 Situation  (Read 2377 times)

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
Re: TRICKY T1 vs. T2 Situation
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 06:49:39 PM »
That said, I'd like my chances of finding a job in Minnesota from UMN better than in California from Davis or USD, because it really is the best school in the area by a mile.

I agree with this statement. Generally, I don't mean any disrespect to Minnesota--it is a great school that places better in Minnesota than any schools we're talking about place in California.

However, OP seemed set on returning to San Diego, and so Minnesota doesn't seem like a strong choice.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 07:27:59 PM »
Generally, I don't mean any disrespect to Minnesota--it is a great school that places better in Minnesota than any schools we're talking about place in California.

Both UMN and Davis place about 15% in NLJ 250 firms (in a good economy), http://www.law.com/img/nlj/charts/composite.pdf, so I'm not sure it's fair to say that UMN places better in MN than Davis places in CA.  I'm not really familiar with either of these schools.  I'd assume, like you, that UMN places better in MN compared to Davis in CA, but the NLJ 250 placement numbers seem to contradict that assumption (so long as we assume NLJ 250 placement is an adequate barometer for employment prospects generally).

OG Loc

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 07:38:56 PM »
That said, I'd like my chances of finding a job in Minnesota from UMN better than in California from Davis or USD, because it really is the best school in the area by a mile.

I agree with this statement. Generally, I don't mean any disrespect to Minnesota--it is a great school that places better in Minnesota than any schools we're talking about place in California.

However, OP seemed set on returning to San Diego, and so Minnesota doesn't seem like a strong choice.

True dat if he decides location is the limiting factor.  I feel that sub-T14 applicants need to keep an open mind about this though.

OG Loc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 07:57:05 PM »
Generally, I don't mean any disrespect to Minnesota--it is a great school that places better in Minnesota than any schools we're talking about place in California.

Both UMN and Davis place about 15% in NLJ 250 firms (in a good economy), http://www.law.com/img/nlj/charts/composite.pdf, so I'm not sure it's fair to say that UMN places better in MN than Davis places in CA.  I'm not really familiar with either of these schools.  I'd assume, like you, that UMN places better in MN compared to Davis in CA, but the NLJ 250 placement numbers seem to contradict that assumption (so long as we assume NLJ 250 placement is an adequate barometer for employment prospects generally).

One thing I think UMN has on Davis and similar schools is that it is in a big city, affording students easy networking opportunities for those who don't qualify for OCI.  And I've heard Minnesotans make the argument that the NLJ 250 placement rate isn't as good there because a lot of good M/SP firms aren't big enough to show up on the 250, though I'm not sure to what degree this argument works.

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2009, 10:03:28 PM »
One thing I think UMN has on Davis and similar schools is that it is in a big city, affording students easy networking opportunities for those who don't qualify for OCI.  And I've heard Minnesotans make the argument that the NLJ 250 placement rate isn't as good there because a lot of good M/SP firms aren't big enough to show up on the 250, though I'm not sure to what degree this argument works.

I have only passed through the area, but Davis seems like it is close enough to Sacramento to count--you'd be able to intern with a Sacramento judge/firm/whatever during the school year, given proximity.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 04:45:59 PM »
Davis, unless you want a three year vacation in MN.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

spaa

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 01:22:37 PM »
It is very unfortunate how this works. I've seen employment announcements for attorneys that list among the requirements: Graduate from a Tier 1 School USNWR, Top 50 school or Top 25 School. This makes the decision between going to a T2 that is the best regional School and a T1 that is thousands of miles away. Either you don't get the job because you went to a school ranked 26 or you don't get it because you are not from the area/network.