Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: failureee  (Read 508 times)

mgru09

• View Profile
failureee
« on: December 23, 2009, 11:55:29 AM »
I failed an upper level Political Science class on political statistics and the empirical study of polisci my junior year....I won't go into the reasons why because it's irrelevant, but even with the grade of F I received a 3.0 GPA for that semester because every other grade I received was an A (I think I had like 4 other classes.)
 I retook the class my senior year and got a B. My undergraduate school said that retakes replace the old grade, but do you think law schools will be able to see the F? Do I need to explain the grade in a supplemental essay?

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
Re: failureee
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 03:16:44 PM »
I failed an upper level Political Science class on political statistics and the empirical study of polisci my junior year....I won't go into the reasons why because it's irrelevant, but even with the grade of F I received a 3.0 GPA for that semester because every other grade I received was an A (I think I had like 4 other classes.)
 I retook the class my senior year and got a B. My undergraduate school said that retakes replace the old grade, but do you think law schools will be able to see the F? Do I need to explain the grade in a supplemental essay?

The F will be included in your LSAC GPA regardless of your school's policy; thus, your LSAC GPA will be lower than what your school says your GPA is.  (I'm not sure if this also means law schools will "see" the grade, but I assume so).  Without knowing more, I wouldn't submit a supplemental essay.

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
Re: failureee
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 04:39:59 PM »
If the F is still on your transcript, law schools will "see" the grade. You could write an addendum if you wanted, but I'm not sure it would help you that much.