Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Not so great GPA, great work experience...Please Help!!!  (Read 589 times)

LawSchoolHopeful12

• View Profile
    • Email
Not so great GPA, great work experience...Please Help!!!
« on: December 23, 2009, 11:52:01 AM »
GPA- currently 3.0 still have 13 classes left,
LSAT- not taken yet
had some issues with grades first 2 years of college
URM
single mom of a gorgeous 9 yr old
Criminal Justice Major, Minor in Homeland Security
no volunteering activities yet.

Work experience- I've been in banking for 6 years, as a Personal Banker, I am a licensed Realtor as well in NY, and I hold a Series 6 & 63 license for investments as well as the Life & Health license in NY. I am interested in pursuing Securities Law or Real Estate Law...

I currently attend John Jay College of Criminal Justice in NYC, I intend to finish strong, hopefully a 3.3-3.5. I am currently at 3.0...
 P.S. and while visiting the commonwealth of VA I was fined and convicted of public intoxication, is this an immediate disqualifier?  I was not drun, I had two beers and wanted to go home, and had a brief argument with my brother as I walked to my car, the officer asked me to get out (which later I found out that he was not suppose to) so I did, explained to the officer what was happening and he immediately threatened with taking me to jail, so I admit that I was a smart ass for asking why, but it made  him angry so I spent about 6 hours like a criminal.  This occurred this year so it is fairly recent,  I expect to start applying Sept 2010..

Please Help!!!!   :)

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
Re: Not so great GPA, great work experience...Please Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 03:21:07 PM »
P.S. and while visiting the commonwealth of VA I was fined and convicted of public intoxication, is this an immediate disqualifier?

It won't be an automatic disqualifier at most schools.  Get your GPA up as high as possible and do as best you can on the LSAT.  You can still get into law school.  Good luck.

LawSchoolHopeful12

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Not so great GPA, great work experience...Please Help!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 04:13:25 PM »
Thanks!!!! :D