Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: FSU 2L Taking Questions  (Read 1499 times)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
FSU 2L Taking Questions
« on: December 22, 2009, 01:32:51 PM »
Shoot if you have them.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

kenpostudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - kenpostudent@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: FSU 2L Taking Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 05:03:22 PM »
How difficult did you find your first round of finals? Honestly, I thought my first round was pretty easy; naturally, that gives me pause. Either my preparation was spot on or I missed several key nuances of each exam. I guess I'll find out very shortly when grades come out.

Anyway, what was your experience with the first round of finals?

OG Loc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 06:36:15 PM »
I've heard rumblings about it becoming much more difficult for out of staters to get residency at FSU and Florida after 1L.  True?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 10:19:37 PM »
How difficult did you find your first round of finals? Honestly, I thought my first round was pretty easy; naturally, that gives me pause. Either my preparation was spot on or I missed several key nuances of each exam. I guess I'll find out very shortly when grades come out.

Anyway, what was your experience with the first round of finals?

The thing you'll find out about finals is that how you feel about them has little to do with what grades you actually come out with. Of course, it's always good to feel good about your finals, but if everyone feels good, it might make for a hard curve. Likewise, if everyone feels bad, it might make for a more forgiving curve.

In my experience, I found my first round of finals to be mixed. They weren't overly difficult, but I definitely felt better about some than others. For torts and property, I thought I drilled them. For contracts and civ pro, I didn't think I did very well. In the end, my best grade was contracts, my worst was civ pro, and my torts and property grades were equally middling. I did well in contracts because everyone was confused (we had a new adjunct) and so most people screwed up the final, making for a much more generous curve. Though I'm sure I did better in property and torts than I did in contracts, I ended up with lower grades because almost everyone really understood property and torts and the curve became harder as a result. And civ pro, well, I'm just glad I passed. :)

One thing I definitely felt after first semester was that I had a much better idea of how to prepare for and take law school exams. The first semester was a lot of trial and error. By the second, I had it down and bumped my GPA up a few points (we have a 100 point system). If you can, go look at your old tests next semester. You'd be amazed at how much you can learn by going over what you did wrong.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 10:56:26 PM »
I've heard rumblings about it becoming much more difficult for out of staters to get residency at FSU and Florida after 1L.  True?

Partially true. It's not that it's becoming more difficult so much as that it is already fairly difficult and the schools don't really attempt to tell anyone about what's required.

In addition to standard requirements (get a driver's license, register to vote, etc), the tricky things about Florida residency are that you have to:
  • Fill out a declaration of domicile form and file it with the county clerk (I think that's the office...).
  • Have EVERYTHING you need for residency dated before the start of your first year so that you can show you have been living in Florida for more than a year by the time 2L starts. This one trips up a lot of people and can be very difficult if you arrive only a few days before school.
  • Fill out your bar application, and according to some of the staff at FSU this year, fill it out before the start of 1L. I say the FSU part because the 1Ls this year were told several conflicting things and I expect it to be a problem next year when they're trying to reclassify. But whatever the case, if your bar app is filled out before 1L starts, you're cool.
  • As of this year, write out a statement of your intent to remain in Florida and have it notarized.
  • Live off campus. This is required at FSU at least and is legally debatable, but it's a requirement right now.

Section 1009.21 of the Florida Statutes covers everything in particular, if you're interested. It was just updated this summer, so I'd guess it will be stable for at least a few years, but you never know. And that update also seems to have caused some confusion at schools in Florida, so the requirements might be reinterpreted in the future.

Like I said, it's really just that it's hard to get residency in Florida, not so much that it's getting harder. That said, I think Florida the state probably would eliminate the ability to reclassify if they thought they could get away with it.

OG Loc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 03:31:59 PM »
I was under the impression that it used to be driver's license, voter registration, lease, and you're good to go after 1L, but the updated legislation changed that.  Comparing the 09 version (http://www.flsenate.gov/STATUTES/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch1009/SEC21.HTM&Title=->2009->Ch1009->Section%2021#1009.21) of the legislation you mentioned to the 08 version (http://www.flsenate.gov/STATUTES/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch1009/SEC21.HTM&Title=->2008->Ch1009->Section%2021#1009.21), you'll see that the 09 version requires one to have been living in the state 12 mo before INITIAL enrollment at an institution, whereas the 08 version didn't include that.  Seems that they have pretty much eliminated the possibility of reclassification if you start as an out of stater, which is disappointing.

Anyway, thanks.  Are people finding any summer internships there?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 04:42:46 AM »
I was under the impression that it used to be driver's license, voter registration, lease, and you're good to go after 1L, but the updated legislation changed that.  Comparing the 09 version (http://www.flsenate.gov/STATUTES/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch1009/SEC21.HTM&Title=->2009->Ch1009->Section%2021#1009.21) of the legislation you mentioned to the 08 version (http://www.flsenate.gov/STATUTES/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch1009/SEC21.HTM&Title=->2008->Ch1009->Section%2021#1009.21), you'll see that the 09 version requires one to have been living in the state 12 mo before INITIAL enrollment at an institution, whereas the 08 version didn't include that.  Seems that they have pretty much eliminated the possibility of reclassification if you start as an out of stater, which is disappointing.

Anyway, thanks.  Are people finding any summer internships there?

You're reading the statute wrong/not enough. It's saying that to initially classify as a resident for tuition purposes, you have to have been in the state for 12 months prior to enrollment and if you haven't, then you're a nonresident. However, after you've lived in the state for the requisite 12 months, you can reclassify as a resident if you've done everything else you need to. See (6)(a):

Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person who is classified as a nonresident for tuition purposes may become eligible for reclassification as a resident for tuition purposes if that person or, if that person is a dependent child, his or her parent presents clear and convincing documentation that supports permanent legal residency in this state for at least 12 consecutive months rather than temporary residency for the purpose of pursuing an education, such as documentation of full-time permanent employment for the prior 12 months or the purchase of a home in this state and residence therein for the prior 12 months while not enrolled in an institution of higher education.

As for summer work, yeah, people are finding work. Most people have something lined up, and I think most of the rest will get squared away soon.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 01:07:47 PM »
I've heard rumblings about it becoming much more difficult for out of staters to get residency at FSU and Florida after 1L.  True?

Partially true. It's not that it's becoming more difficult so much as that it is already fairly difficult and the schools don't really attempt to tell anyone about what's required.

In addition to standard requirements (get a driver's license, register to vote, etc), the tricky things about Florida residency are that you have to:
  • Fill out a declaration of domicile form and file it with the county clerk (I think that's the office...).
  • Have EVERYTHING you need for residency dated before the start of your first year so that you can show you have been living in Florida for more than a year by the time 2L starts. This one trips up a lot of people and can be very difficult if you arrive only a few days before school.
  • Fill out your bar application, and according to some of the staff at FSU this year, fill it out before the start of 1L. I say the FSU part because the 1Ls this year were told several conflicting things and I expect it to be a problem next year when they're trying to reclassify. But whatever the case, if your bar app is filled out before 1L starts, you're cool.
  • As of this year, write out a statement of your intent to remain in Florida and have it notarized.
  • Live off campus. This is required at FSU at least and is legally debatable, but it's a requirement right now.

Section 1009.21 of the Florida Statutes covers everything in particular, if you're interested. It was just updated this summer, so I'd guess it will be stable for at least a few years, but you never know. And that update also seems to have caused some confusion at schools in Florida, so the requirements might be reinterpreted in the future.

Like I said, it's really just that it's hard to get residency in Florida, not so much that it's getting harder. That said, I think Florida the state probably would eliminate the ability to reclassify if they thought they could get away with it.

I don't know if I see it the way that I do.  UF law (for those of you who don't know me, I'm a UF 2L here) has always, before this year, advertised on its website that a vast majority of out-of-staters get in-state tuition after their first year.  So I wouldn't characterize Florida as a tough state to get in-state tuition in previous years. 

However, it is hard to see how this is going to play out in the future.  They changed the statute, particularly with the burden of persuasion for out-of-staters.  They changed it to a "clear-and-convincing" standard.  Nobody knows necessarily how that is going to play out in the future, but it seems based on this changed burden, among other changes, that they want to restrict those who could take credit of the previous lax standards.

(An aside: Florida for the first time since [I think] WWII is actually losing a net amount of people.  Do they really want a brain drain by being stingy in a tough economy?  Expediency to solve a short-term problem isn't smart when you exacerbate a long-term problem.) 

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 01:09:08 PM »
As for summer work, yeah, people are finding work. Most people have something lined up, and I think most of the rest will get squared away soon.

Really?  Here, nobody is finding work.  I find that hard to believe, my friend....

And Merry Christmas by the way!   :)

OG Loc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 01:51:43 PM »
That language still makes it sound pretty impossible for the average law student to reclassify, but if it's your experience that those things are sufficient, great.  Doesn't seem like something someone should count on, though...I got into both schools last year (decided not to start law school til '10), but I don't think I'll reapply, being a NY resident.  I heard something about a letter being sent to the deposited O.O.S. UF students about the residency requirements becoming much harder, but didn't get it myself since I had withdrawn.  I wish we had a decent state school here  :-\

But if you're all getting jobs, then maybe I should apply...that IS very surprising.  What kind of work did you find, if you don't mind?

Merry Christmas to yall