Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How do I get out of ED  (Read 4923 times)

JS678

• View Profile
    • Email
How do I get out of ED
« on: December 19, 2009, 10:38:05 PM »
I applied ED to Duke.  I didnít think I could get into a better school (Iím an URM).  I got into Duke but then got accepted by Harvard!  Is there any way to get out of the Duke commitment?  What if I wait a year and ask Harvard to defer my acceptance?

wyatth

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How do I get out of ED
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 01:38:26 PM »
Not sure, but why would you apply ED at Duke if you are also applying to schools you like more?

JS678

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 04:36:55 PM »
Because I'm an idiot!  Actually I thought it would help my odds and Duke was the best school I could get into.  I was wrong!  Oh well.  Still a great place to be. 

Frogvag

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
Just tell Duke your situation has changed and you don't want to go to law school anymore.  Then, accept Harvard's offer!  You would be crazy to turn down Harvard!

JS678

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 07:15:26 PM »
Don't they contact all law schools when you get accepted ED and tell them that you're taken? 

MauveAvenger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 07:27:37 PM »
Don't they contact all law schools when you get accepted ED and tell them that you're taken? 

Yes. I got a letter from Columbia saying they were withdrawing my application for me since XYZ had told them i'd been accepted early decision.

Stick to your decision. Lying at the beginning of your law school career is a bad move. Not only is it pretty certain they'll find out, but it's just a male private part move.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 07:31:59 PM »
Just tell Duke your situation has changed and you don't want to go to law school anymore.  Then, accept Harvard's offer!  You would be crazy to turn down Harvard!

Worst post ever on LSD?

Stick to your decision. Lying at the beginning of your law school career is a bad move. Not only is it pretty certain they'll find out, but it's just a male private part move.

Credited response.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 11:08:33 PM »

Worst post ever on LSD?

Credited response.

this.  all of it.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

changethegame

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 01:04:21 AM »
I think some of you are being a bit presumptuous. A URM's chances for admission at any T-14 are just about the same across the board; either he's a good candidate or he's not...period.

Admissions is a much wilder game for URM's (especially African-Americans and Native-Americans/Indians).

Because "soft" factors are actually "hard" for them, it's much more difficult to predict which schools will want them, particularly when talking about top schools, b/c they intuitively place differenct weights on the intangibles.

At Duke and Harvard, for example, a URM's having overcome severe impoverishment might be worth 10-12 points on the LSAT,raising a 158 LSAT scorer to 168-170 (well within range for admission with $$$ at any top school), or a 163 to 173-175 (an automatic admit with $$$ at any school).

There's no real science to it, so i can see how a URM candidate might underestimate his chances of getting into Harvard. Besides, there are students every year who turn down Harvard to go to schools like Northwestern, Penn, Columbia, UVA, etc. Many of you may not want to believe this, but not everybody needs to drop "H-Bombs" for the rest of their lives to be or feel successful. 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 01:40:10 PM »
You're probably screwed on Harvard (for this year), but you could use the Harvard acceptance to play hardball with Duke for a scholarship if they're not already giving you one. You could diplomatically tell them they either need to give you a really good scholarship or you just won't go to law school this year. Then, you either get a good deal at Duke or you get to sit out the year and reapply next year.

But hey, worst case, you end up at Duke. It's a good problem to have.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.