Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Volunteering at Firms While in School  (Read 849 times)

ManBearPig

• View Profile
Volunteering at Firms While in School
« on: December 19, 2009, 10:37:50 PM »
Has anyone on here had success doing something like this? While in law school contact firms you are interested in and offer to work for them as a volunteer, saying you want to get experience or something like that. Work your ass off and eventually land an offer as a paid employee. I know some people have done this before, if anyone on here has please elaborate as to duration of your time as a volunteer and any other advice you might have. Thanks.

xxspykex

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Volunteering at Firms While in School
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 05:54:18 PM »
Has anyone on here had success doing something like this? While in law school contact firms you are interested in and offer to work for them as a volunteer, saying you want to get experience or something like that. Work your ass off and eventually land an offer as a paid employee. I know some people have done this before, if anyone on here has please elaborate as to duration of your time as a volunteer and any other advice you might have. Thanks.

Anything is possible if you are talking about small firms or solos (since they are all different). Biglaw and midlaw don't operate like this. Also, I'm not sure how that works with minimum wage laws, but I've heard that your school has to approve it to allow you to work for a firm for free, and a lot won't since they are for-profit (i.e. they make money and it is kinda ridiculous for them to not pay you for your time, unlike nonprofits or public interest).

Also, there is the 20 hour /week work limit, but if you are a 2L or 3L you already know this (if you are a 1L, don't do this -- your grades are far more important your first year).

petermharrington

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Volunteering at Firms While in School
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 01:10:08 PM »

It makes sense to try to get your foot in the door.

Whatever works