Specific Groups / Issues > Minority Topics

Should North African Arabs be considered URMs?

(1/4) > >>

nitr0x99:
If other African Americans get URM status why don't North African Arabs (Egyptians, Libyans, Moroccans, etc).  Basically, it seems as if law schools are telling us that our skin is not dark enough to qualify for URM status

NYCFed:
Do you think North Africans and their descendants are particularly under represented in law schools?  Do you think South African whites should be treated as URM's?

Amel:
I am French/Northern African (from Algeria) but also black. Northern African does not equate to being Arab. If you have been to Morocco or Algeria, you would then know that we come in all shades,colors, complexion, etc. and are from various ethnic backgrounds ( Berbers, Tuareg, Cabiles). Let's face it Northern Africans are mixed no matter how much you look at it, it is a known fact. You can be white, caramel, brown, yellow, high yellow and everything in between. You should know this if you have been there.
One thing to bear in mind is that we are not Arabs either but Northern African ( huge distinction). Study your history, we were colonized and heavily influenced by Arabs and although we speak Arabic we ARE NOT Arabs. Now, I happen to be clearly a woman of color ( no doubt about it) thus I feel extremely comfortable applying as a URM, oh and with only 2% of Algerians in the US, I think I speak from experience when I say that we are truly underrepresented. 

legalized:

--- Quote from: Amel on December 30, 2009, 06:22:08 PM ---I am French/Northern African (from Algeria) but also black. Northern African does not equate to being Arab. If you have been to Morocco or Algeria, you would then know that we come in all shades,colors, complexion, etc. and are from various ethnic backgrounds ( Berbers, Tuareg, Cabiles). Let's face it Northern Africans are mixed no matter how much you look at it, it is a known fact. You can be white, caramel, brown, yellow, high yellow and everything in between. You should know this if you have been there.
One thing to bear in mind is that we are not Arabs either but Northern African ( huge distinction). Study your history, we were colonized and heavily influenced by Arabs and although we speak Arabic we ARE NOT Arabs. Now, I happen to be clearly a woman of color ( no doubt about it) thus I feel extremely comfortable applying as a URM, oh and with only 2% of Algerians in the US, I think I speak from experience when I say that we are truly underrepresented. 

--- End quote ---

yes but morocco and egypt ARE considered part of the arab world.  Like it or not, they are arabs. no matter the skin colour.

Although from the OP references not being dark enough to be considered URM, it should be obvious without all the hairsplitting that he is referring to the typical picture that comes to mind when we think of arabs, and that is skin that is very near white, or that some people call "olive" complexion.

Underrpresented means given the history and population size of the same group out in the U.S. community.  Not URMs on a worldwide scale.

Blacks of all nationalities/cultures, latinos/hispanics of all nationalities/cultures, native americans...these are the MAIN underrepresented minorities people are usually speaking of that have historically been PURPOSELY SHUT OUT of law school and legal justice on a whole.

People forget that URM status isn't just an umbrella to ease some people's way in for no reason.  This status acknowledges the serious error that left these groups out of the legal loop from education to justice for a long long time, on purpose.  Things done on purpose cannot be corrected by accident when they are systemic...human action has to be purposely directed at correcting it.

That is why we have social programs to assist those humans that are left in the lurch...because too often it is other humans that left them there, not natural selection like out in the natural world.

legalized:
And to the original post. I think given the tension and racial profiling from EVERYBODY against arabs of any country, including americans of arab descent, yes, they should get URM status.

But that is not up to us so we might as well accept what is.  It's a good part of a diversity statement I think but I don't know that arabs have HISTORICALLY had a hard time getting into law or getting justice served to them within the borders of the U.S. Not saying they have or haven't, just saying i don't know of it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version