Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Lets try this again!  (Read 1497 times)

Dillard

• View Profile
Lets try this again!
« on: December 18, 2009, 10:52:07 PM »
So here's my story and questions:

I am 26 married with a 16 month old and really kicking myself for fooling around in college. I pulled my records and ended up with a 2.2. I took the LSAT (6 yrs ago)and did 132 with no practice whatsoever. I have recently been studying to retake and been scoring in the 150s everytime. I plan to take in June but I am terrified of my GPA. Am I crazy for even attempting Law School?

Here's the catch. I work in Admissions at a college and make in the mid 40s is this even going to be worth a career change for me?

Thanks in advance!

MauveAvenger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Lets try this again!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 11:40:13 PM »
Things to consider:

1. You will put in long hours and a lot of work for 3 years. You have a baby.
2. You will go into debt roughly $30,000 - $150,000 unless you get a full ride somewhere. Unlikely to happen at a good school.
3. If you don't go to a really good school, you'll probably only be making $30,000 - $60,000 when you get out, and you'll have that crapload of debt to handle.

Just things to consider. If it's what you really want to do after mulling it over, then go for it. (no sarcasm)

Dillard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 11:46:39 PM »
I guess I also forgot to mention that I have a Atty that I worked for through college willing to flip the bill and hire me straight out of school (family friend) so I guess I really need to know what to do about the GPA? The money wont be the issue other than knowing what a 1st year atty. makes?

Frogvag

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 03:47:38 AM »
If you got a 132 on LSAT do not go to law school!  You will not succeed as an attorney!  Sorry to be so harsh, but it's the truth.

MauveAvenger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 08:02:54 AM »
Well then ask him/her what he/she will be paying you. That makes more sense than asking an internet board. There's nothing you can do about the GPA to change it, obviously, but you could write an addendum when you apply. Something like "I was stupid, blah blah, I've matured, blah, it was four years ago, etc etc."

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 06:51:14 PM »
It dosn't sound like you took the lsat seriously last time, so of course you scored low. It happens when people do that.
Just retake it and try harder this time(and study if you can)
Besides if it was 6 years ago you have no choice but to take it again anyways,most  colleges dont accept scores over 5 years old. Trust me, you'd have to actually try to do worse. It's worth a shot.

So here's my story and questions:

I am 26 married with a 16 month old and really kicking myself for fooling around in college. I pulled my records and ended up with a 2.2. I took the LSAT (6 yrs ago)and did 132 with no practice whatsoever. I have recently been studying to retake and been scoring in the 150s everytime. I plan to take in June but I am terrified of my GPA. Am I crazy for even attempting Law School?

Here's the catch. I work in Admissions at a college and make in the mid 40s is this even going to be worth a career change for me?

Thanks in advance!