Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 153/3.65  (Read 844 times)

tgdub

• View Profile
    • Email
153/3.65
« on: December 18, 2009, 10:35:28 PM »
Hello all. Sorry to further saturate this board with another 'where should I go?' thread, but, alas, I need some advice. I recently decided to go ahead and pursue law school. My GPA from the University of Texas was a 3.65 (finalized LSDAS GPA), I scored a 153 on the LSAT, and I'm not a URM. I understand that this basically sucks but I don't really want to go BigLaw - ideally, I want to join the JAG program after law school and then transition into government work after that. I've also considered going T3 or T4, working my ass off during 1L and transferring to a school that's ranked higher. This is obviously easier said than done but it's still an objective.

I'm planning on app'ing South Texas, Texas Wesleyan, Loyola New Orleans, perhaps OU, Texas Tech, etc. However, all of this is still relatively new to me, so I was wondering if there was anyone who could give me further guidance with regards to where I should apply. Would it behoove me to try and stay local? I'm from Houston, but I'd love to go out of state. Like I said, I'm really new so any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

tgdub

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 153/3.65
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 10:44:37 PM »
Sorry guys - I just started reading around and realized that I'm kind of in a pickle. Apologies for sounding ignorant - feel free to respond to my question, but I think I'm going to try and reassess my situation.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 10:31:05 AM »
I'm planning on app'ing South Texas, Texas Wesleyan, Loyola New Orleans, perhaps OU, Texas Tech, etc. However, all of this is still relatively new to me, so I was wondering if there was anyone who could give me further guidance with regards to where I should apply. Would it behoove me to try and stay local? I'm from Houston, but I'd love to go out of state. Like I said, I'm really new so any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Tech would be a great option because of low resident tuition, but you're unlikely to be accepted.

I would try to avoid significant debt and focus on tier 3/4 schools across the country that are likely to give you a full ride.  You can use the UGPA/LSAT search feature at http://officialguide.lsac.org to see schools that give you a high probability of acceptance.  Look at schools where your LSAT is at least 1-2 points above the median that also give a good number of full tuition scholarships (5%+).  You can find the median LSAT and scholarship info by looking up individual schools here: http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchResults/ShowAllSchools.aspx.

This is a good article for someone in your position: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1207904889498&slreturn=1&hbxlogin=1

Edit:  Staying in Texas would generally be better than going out of state if you want to practice in Texas.  But if you have options outside the state that are more financially advantageous, then I wouldn't worry so much about going out of state.  You could spend your summers working in Texas (or wherever you want to work).  This will show future employers that you are serious about returning (and you can explain your foray into another state by listing your scholarship on your resume).

tgdub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 10:16:03 PM »
Vap - Thank you so much for the literature and the information; in all honesty, I was a bit reluctant to ask my question, for fear of being scorned because of my lackluster LSAT performance. I really appreciate your respectful and insightful response! These are utilities that will prove especially helpful in my law school search in the coming months.

Thanks again!

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 08:11:54 PM »
No prob!  I probably should have also asked you if you are considering a retake on the LSAT.  If you get about 5 points higher, you would be a lock at Tech (maybe with scholarship), and you'd have a much better chance at full scholarships to other tier 2/3 schools.  South Texas is a good option if you want to work in Houston, but last time I checked they didn't give out a whole lot of scholarship money.